Art nouveau frame?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by bluemoon, Nov 22, 2016.

1. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

I'm thinking of buying this.
    It measures approximately 6.5 or 7 inches each width and height. Material: brass.

How old is it? How much do these usually cost?

2016-11-22 17.04.48.jpg 2016-11-22 17.05.27.jpg

2. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I have no ideas to answer your questions, I can only say that the discoloured areas look like brass plating worn off of spelter (or the equivalent). Be sure to verify that the discolouration will polish off and is not permanent.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Nice period frame. Agree with Mansons about the damage. This looks like it could be gilt over ??? Have to see what that corroded base metal is and what you can do with it. In good condition, these can get pricey. Would think up to a couple hundred in good condition and depending on venue.

tyeldom3 and bluemoon like this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Time period is the late 1800s.
    I think these are usually brass with tin backs.
    Don't think you can get rid of the discoloration without a proper cleaning. Cleaning it will leave it very bright, taking away the warm patina.

tyeldom3 and lloyd249 like this.
  5. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

I was thinking, wouldn't a "nice" frame have been made out of brass or bronze? Were the spelter etc. ones exclusively used by peasants / country people back in the day or was it a question of something else?

tyeldom3 likes this.
  6. verybrad

There is certainly the possibility that this is spelter. It was always just a matter of cost. Competition drove manufacturers to find ways to produce goods more cheaply. This is probably not something that country people or peasants would have owned at all. However, those with a more urban upwardly striving lifestyle and of more limited means might choose a less expensive alternative. Other manufacturers continued to produce goods as always and catered to the wealthy. Both alternatives would have been available in the marketplace. Consequently, this could be either.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  7. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

The frame arrived and it IS spelter even though it was listed as brass. I think I'd like to complain and ask for some of my money back.. I paid 40$ and that includes shipping. But I'm quite cranky these days :penguin:

Screenshot_2016-12-01-17-25-42.png

tyeldom3 likes this.
  8. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Personally, I would ask for a return and refund - a complete refund including shipping. This is Not As Described, whether intentional or via ignorance is immaterial.

But that's just me............................

PS It is nice, but it is probably beyond repair.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  9. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

I like the frame so I'll probably keep it despite the inaccurate description.

I'll probably scrub the exposed spelter area clean and paint it with some very nice gold paint. Then patina it slightly to match. That's the best I can think of.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  10. verybrad

Yep, a refinishing project at this point. I think it is still probably worth what you paid for it. However, it is not as represented so it is an issue. I don't know if you had to outbid someone to get this but, if so, it is even more of an issue. Whoever you were bidding against was also working under the assumption that this was brass. Bidding would not have gone as high if properly represented. If a BIN or negotiated price, probably less of an issue.

11. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Last week I went out to a small specialty store to look for good gold paint to treat the bare spelter spot with. They didn't have the kind of paint I had in mind but the salesperson (after seeing the frame) suggested I'd paint the entire frame with a gold-ish-ish acrylic paint.

:nailbiting:

The next store I go to will probably suggest some spray paint. Not for the antiques!