Featured Art Nouveau Ceiling Light with Vaseline Pendant Shade

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Suzy, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Suzy

Suzy Member

0F7D739C-F0AC-40AF-BAA5-F2CBFDF76CD3.jpeg 1B125C0B-B0A8-40F2-AE95-910D9D21F171.jpeg EDD54079-FBFD-483C-9351-5D0253D721A4.jpeg 3E622E71-FED8-4126-828B-4A8402D79437.jpeg F75DED68-6B10-4551-A9B5-A21C20FA9E97.jpeg D83E8E2C-DE7D-447B-92F5-A19E5B6990AE.jpeg I am revisiting this lovely site to see if I can once again gain further information on my light. I’m looking to sell it and idealistically want to sell for a realistic price.

25 inch long Art Nouveau (?) ceiling light, complete with original ceiling plate. The fitting is unmarked, but has some typical WAS Benson elements in its construction - it also has a typically Powell large, striped, Vaseline pendant shade. Could it have been commissioned? Maybe I am right off the beaten track - any experts out there who could help me out - would be very grateful :)

Dimensions (all measurements are approx., but to the nearest):

Pendant fitting dimensions:
    Height: 17.5"
    Diameter: 8.25" (at its widest point)

Ceiling plate dimensions:
    Depth: 1"
    Diameter: 3.25"

Vaseline glass shade dimensions:
    Height: 14 cm
    Diameter: 12 cm

Overall dimensions once assembled:
    Height: 25"
    Diameter: 8.25" (at its widest point)

Condition:
    When I was originally given this light it had been painted with an awful, thick, gold metallic paint. I have very carefully stripped the paint off, I think the result is pretty good but it's hard to work out what metal it is made from.

The Vaseline shade pendant is in perfect condition, so chips, scratches or cracks.

This lamp was owned by my late Grandparents, they passed when they were both 96. It was hanging from a hall ceiling in their house and I remember seeing it as a little girl, I am now 54. There are no markings or etchings to give any idea of its identity.

All help appreciated :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2021
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I see there is a double post. I don't think this belongs in Pottery @i need help

Suzy and i need help like this.
  3. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

early Fenton did a drapery/drape pattern not sure about shades......pretty piece of glass.

Suzy, Bronwen and Darkwing Manor like this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Suzy, Bronwen, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Just popping in to say it's gorgeous!

Suzy, Bronwen, smallaxe and 4 others like this.
  6. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Beautiful and a very unique look. I would keep it if I was you!

Suzy, lovewrens and Bronwen like this.
  7. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Depending on how strong your local market is for this type of item, you should try and do a local pickup on it.

If you're planning on shipping it, you'd have to pack the shade to survive Armageddon, and probably ship in two separate cartons.

Suzy, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

JMHO, I think Arts and Crafts rather than Art Nouveau, like the title of the link verybrad posted suggests. Looks a bit to geometric to me for Art Nouveau :)

9. DizzyDaff

DizzyDaff Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.

laura9797 and ascot like this.
  10. Suzy

Suzy Member

Draft saved Draft deleted