Art glass vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by verybrad, Feb 2, 2018.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I can't identify this art glass vase. Thought maybe Blenko but the pontil mark is atypically ground. About 8" tall and very heavy. Shows good wear on the bottom. Body is green and the applied handles (?) are clear. Any ideas?

green.jpg green2.jpg

Lucille.b likes this.
  2. verybrad

judy and aaroncab like this.
  3. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

Altho I don't know much about glass, I agree that the vase in the link you provided seems very similar.

judy likes this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I don't know a lot about Blenko, but I don't believe they had polished pontils.

I'm thinking 1970s European, but I could be wrong about that.

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Hm. That may actually be Whitefriars, they some with rigaree frills.

judy likes this.
  6. verybrad

This is a known Blenko piece. #473 designed by Winslow Anderson in 1948. They are similar but have differences. It has a heavy base but seems fairly thin otherwise. My vase is pretty heavy all the way up. The handles are also different in execution.. All the examples I have found have a typical Blenko rough pontil mark. I am assuming the ID on the vase at liveauctioneers was based on these. The one there is more similar to the #473 than mine. I can find no other example of my vase.

[​IMG]

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Here is a list of Blenko catalogs if you want to look through. I'm not well versed in Blenko but I don't think the bottom looks like the known Blenko pieces I've seen.

https://blenko.com/catalogs/

8. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

Blenko doesn't have polished pontils. This could be Murano.

9. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  10. verybrad

The second link has a 1951 catalog with what may be it. Can't read the number. Maybe 492?

judy likes this.
  11. verybrad

Was able to enlarge page and it is #492. I can not find any examples. Found this about pontil marks on Blenko. Appears that they did sometimes grind them.....

http://www.blenkocollectors.com/isitblenkopages/blenkocollisitblenkopontils.htm

There are still differences between my vase and the catalog vase. Mine is a full 8" tall, they list the #492 at 7 1/2". The crimping on the handlses on my vase is more shallow than on the Blenko...... so no conclusion, just more information.

12. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Draft saved Draft deleted