Art Glass Tulip Shade identification help

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Abegweit, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Abegweit

Abegweit Active Member

I picked up a portion of an old hanging chain ceiling fixture, consisting of the chain, socket and tulip shade. The socket is stamped METEOR PAT APP’D FOR 250W 250V with a Bryant switch.

The shade was covered in grime and dirt but looked like carnival glass and I had been looking for a shade to try on an old cast iron boudoir lamp I had picked up that gave up ever getting an original shade for.

I cleaned the shade and looked at it several times for any kind of mark and seen none. Only after putting on a window ledge with the sun against it did I notice marks etched in the glass.

Now I’ve done some research and know what the LCT initials “may” stand for if authentic, but I am unable to locate a similar shade image with this shape, exterior and especially the white interior.

Was wondering if anyone had any experience, have or seen a similar piece that could provide some feedback.

I have a lily lamp with the same style shade; I’m curious whether there would have been a suspended single light with this shade or whether it put on at a later time. Based on the grime on the socket and shade, they had been together for some time.

I tried it on the boudoir lamp and think I’ll wait and try it on a bridge lamp to see what it looks like there.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

IMG_0912.JPG
    IMG_0913.JPG
    IMG_0914.JPG IMG_0915.JPG

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I see what you mean. It is close but not an exact match to shades I am seeing. It also looks a bit thick for a Tiffany shade. The LCT mark has been forged way back so I would not necessarily equate the amount of grime on this to originality. A Bryant works in a meteor socket body indicates that this has been messed with at some time as well. Any way you look at it, this is still a nice find.

As an aside, in looking at some Tiffany chandeliers just now, I am seriously lusting after some of the Tiffany Moorish designs. If only my finances matched my desires......

3. Abegweit

Abegweit Active Member

Thank-you for the feedback. I agree that the marriage of parts is a sure sign of tinkering and I have no illusions about a forged mark, still one can always dream (Tiffany Moorish dream). You would think that objects obviously made with such pride of workmanship would have used more unique marks, not that this would have deterred the forgers. I viewed a shade that's awfully close at https://eronjohnsonantiques.com/col...any-studios-gold-ruffled-art-glass-lamp-shade and the mark is all but the same, but this or any of the other shades for any of the companies had no inside white coating, this is what I find strange as such a unique feature, should narrow search results. Given your observations of the switch I thought you might find the image underneath interesting, it's from the cast iron boudoir lamp I mentioned earlier. I've never seen or found online a switch with a mechanism like this. On the socket is the following and yes the "G" is missing in pending and there is a character in front of the 60, but to worn to make out : BENJAMIN PAT'S. PENDIN (?)60 W 250V IMG_1177.JPG

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

My initial thought was that it was the shade you posted but they are not a match. Besides the interior color, there are subtle differences in the shape.

As for the toggle switch socket, I have seen a few of these but agree that they are pretty rare. Having seen only a few in over 40 years of looking at antique lighting fixtures probably constitutes rare.

Draft saved Draft deleted