Featured Art glass sugar shaker

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Chinoiserie, Nov 4, 2023.

1. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Another find from today. I can't find anything like it on t'interweb. 17cm tall. Made in England EPNS stamped into the metal rim. No other obvious marks. I am thinking that the black outliner and coloured dots were retro added by some amateur who really should leave art to people who can do it.

IMG_20231104_210049_copy_921x1229.jpg IMG20231104210007_copy_1414x1060.jpg IMG20231104210001_copy_1592x1193.jpg IMG20231104210020_copy_1177x1570.jpg

judy, Boland and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

It's not glass.

judy, Boland, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Chinoiserie, I want to say there is some writing most of the way around the edge, that I've tried to, but just can't bring it out....and I've rotated the image and changed the color but nothing makes it come out.....only one word seems ALMOST readable....and it looks like Old English 'oad' or 'ord'....or maybe it's nothing at all, but something looks like it goes around the edge!! A 'tad' frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banghead::banghead: (BUT I do love the sugar shaker itself!!!:happy::happy:

IMG20231104210007_copyAA.jpg

judy, pearlsnblume and Chinoiserie like this.
  4. Chinoiserie

Well spotted. TYVM, I will have a closer look

judy, Aquitaine and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. Chinoiserie

Are you sure? It definitely feels and looks like it in the flesh. Photographs can be misleading. If you had the advantage of holding it I think you would agree with me. Not sure if it is different coloured glass in a marble effect or if it has a coating on the inside, but quite sure it is.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2023
    judy likes this.
  6. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

no expert but it looks like blue vein / mottled CASED white interior glass reminiscent of 20/30's Czech

pearlsnblume, judy and Chinoiserie like this.
  7. Chinoiserie

You sound quite knowledgeable to me. I will look it up thanks. The finish reminds me of reverse painting technique.

judy likes this.
  8. Chinoiserie

Hello again. I dont think there is any writing there. It is just a trick of the light where the glass is distorting the mottled pattern.

judy, Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It's always good to double check, and glad you did!!! Too often any one of us can miss something!!:confused::rolleyes::happy:

judy likes this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Bohemian spatter glass with enamelled embellishments. Imported, then the top was added.

11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

12. Chinoiserie

Nice key words thanks. So you think the enamel is original then?
    Good hit. Thanks. Even the enamel is similar. Just as well I struggled trying to clean it off the other night. I thought it was some tragic addition by an amateur wannabe :bag:

johnnycb09, judy and i need help like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I do indeed think it's original. Typically late 19th into early 20th.

Draft saved Draft deleted