Art Glass Bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Josh, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

Have a nice art glass bowl that I am thinking probably came out of Murano. Was wondering if anyone could confirm this and possibly point me in the direction of a certain maker. Also id there a particular name for this style with the little colored pieces inserted randomly into the glass. Bowl measures 11 1/4" long, 8 3/8" wide and is 2 1/4" deep. has a smooth polished base.

DSCF8456 - Copy.JPG DSCF8457 - Copy.JPG DSCF8458 - Copy.JPG DSCF8459 - Copy.JPG DSCF8460 - Copy.JPG

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a Murano maker. Might be Italian, one of those Arte Murano factories, but I suspect more likely Far Eastern and very new. Those are square canes in the style of millefiori. Nicely enough done.

3. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

Thanks Bear. For my own future reference, may I ask what makes you think modern and out of Asia?

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Much is having seen and handle a lot of both Murano and modern Asian. This doesn't have the flair or the individuality I'd expect from "proper" art glass, and the colour is a bit vicious. It also looks relatively non chunky and the canes aren't very detailed. The bottom has that mass produced look, too.

Not sure that's all that helpful. ;)

5. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

I to think that it is Asian. The Italian quality is not there.

6. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

Thanks bear and fenton. I don't come across much Murano glass unfortunately.

Draft saved Draft deleted