Art Deco

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Mandy Anderson, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Mandy Anderson

Mandy Anderson New Member

Hello all, I am by no means a proper collector but have recently acquired a couple of Art Deco pieces of furniture that I love and now I have the bug! I wondered if anyone would be able to give me more info about the dressing table I have, the previous owner called it a “moon” table. I love it but would be grateful for more detail.

Attached Files:

2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Hi Mandy. Lots of us improper :) collectors here. Full image works better for members to see it. Also please repost your dresser under furniture and take more detailed photos of the wood grain, any labels and the outside of the drawers, handles, etc.

D6CF16C9-0189-4F30-B13D-CB1C0CAC788A.jpeg.jpg

3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Mandy!

Welcome to Antiquers.............

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Greetings, Mandy!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, Mandy.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Mandy Anderson

Thank you very much!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. Mandy Anderson

Thank you very much!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Mandy Anderson

Ok will do, thanks for the advice!

Christmasjoy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome
    Rather than re post the same item, let's ask @Bookahtoo or @daveydempsey to move it to Furniture please.

It does appear to be a 1920s/30s dresser with Art Deco influence. Maybe veneered, but would need a clearer picture.
    @verybrad

James Conrad and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Circa 1930 deco vanity. Have not heard the term "moon table" but can see where it might come from. Burl walnut veneer. Don't think this is American but really need better/more pics to evaluate. Seems to be an above average example but not of the highest quality.

judy, Fid, clutteredcloset49 and 2 others like this.
  11. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Hi, and WELCOME Mandy !!! I love the look of your dressing table .. Very Nice !! There's something that draws me to that Art Deco look .. :):):) .. Joy.

judy likes this.
  12. Mandy Anderson

Thank you, it is indeed burl walnut veneer and I will try to post more photos when home. It has some damage to the veneer but I love it no matter the value. I really just would like to know it’s origins if possible. It has castors.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That's British looking at the plinth bases. And very nice, too. Figured Burr walnut, early 1930s, possibly a good veneer. Properly called a dressing table. It's the mirror which is moon shape - you also get cloud shaped ones.

They've gone off the boil a bit here in terms of price, but still very desirable.

14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Looks Belgian or Dutch to me. And very nice.

15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Moon-shaped? Cloud-shaped? Learned something. Went off to find example of cloud-shaped and came back with this (in case anyone else is interested too.)

Debora

artdecodressingtable.jpg

16. Mandy Anderson

Thank you all for your comments, I confess that I did re-finish the top myself, I don’t like wiping out history but I think it looks better, ready for another 100 years! I think it is British, I am in Scotland and the lady I bought it from purchased it in Northampton.

17. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This would have been nice information to have up front. Many of us are in The US, so come from that perspective. I like to think we are no so egocentric as to expect that everything posted here is in the US. However, we get a fair amount of imported furniture here and your vanity could have easily found its way over.

18. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Oh Boy! I'd guess the number 1 question posed on furniture forum with many posts centered on where poster is, where did poster get the piece.
    It's a vital piece of info really when discussing old furniture as it doesn't travel well so it's often built within a few hundred miles of where it is now.

19. Mandy Anderson

I only just realised this was an American forum, apologies for wasting your time, I’ll go try and find a British forum.

20. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Oh no, you didn't waste anyone's time, it's just that with furniture, it's very helpful to know where poster is located in the world and often profiles are blank.

Draft saved Draft deleted