Art Deco WPA era Repwood Syrocco wood plaque Airline Stewardess

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by RRobS, Feb 23, 2022.

1. RRobS

RRobS Member

Any information on where and how this piece was originally displayed? made of pressed wood, repwood, syrocco wood type pressed wood. This is titled Transportation with an image of an airline stewardess and airplane prop, I found a similar piece online titled Communication with a male figure. This is about 7" in diameter and in poor condition but I'm curious what purpose it was originally displayed, being it's pressed wood it had to be used indoors or it would have deteriorated completely. Originally transportation2.jpg painted gold. Anyone know anything about this piece. Thanks in advance.

Roaring20s likes this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Lets see the link to the similar item.

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Architectural decoration for a civic building. Usually, such things are in metal or stone.

4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Can we see the reverse side? Is there any chance it used to be a bookend, with part having been removed? Looks like the bottom of yours is the most damaged part, so it might not be possible to tell.

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

There are some Syroco items online that were from the 1939 New York World's Fair. They made souvenirs depicting several buildings at the fair, including the Transportation Building and the Communication Building. Some are also for sale on eBay. What I saw does not look anything like your item, but I wonder whether that would be an avenue to explore?

This page gives some description of Syroco items at the 1939 World's Fair.
    https://www.1939nyworldsfair.com/newsletters/2016/June_2016/index.aspx

6. rjbuttliere

rjbuttliere New Member

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted