Art Deco porcelain lady

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Martin s, Jan 13, 2024.

1. Martin s

Martin s Well-Known Member

Hi,

Can anyone help me identify this porcelain lady.she measures 6 inches tall by 5 inches deep.
    There is a number on base 10576.there also seems to be what looks like an embossed marking on her dress .

Thank you for any help

20240113_182849_resize_42.jpg 20240113_182859_resize_25.jpg 20240113_182912_resize_77.jpg 20240113_182919_resize_25.jpg 20240113_183038_resize_72.jpg 20240113_183447_resize_25.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Sort of a commedia dell'arte flapper, isn't she.

3. Martin s

Maybe. I am trying to find like figurines to compare her to. Would love to know who made her

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think shes part of a bookend set.Cant quite make out the writing on the bottom,is that numerals?

Bronwen and bercrystal like this.
  5. Martin s

Yea only numerals on the bottom 10576.but there is what seems like a marking on her dress.i tried to get a close up of it in the last picture.
    Never entered my head that it might be part of a bookend set but you could well be right

6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I'm just trying to educated myself...
    Can someone explain why this would be considered Art Deco in design... other than likely being of the same time period?
    Thanks!

wlwhittier and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. Martin s

My description might not be correct.please educate me too

johnnycb09 likes this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's real tempting to see that blob on her dress as a maker's mark, but it's not ringing any bells.
    00000caa.jpg

There are numbers on the bottom, but if there's a maker's mark there, it's probably lost in the glare.
    00000ca.jpg

It might be an idea to look at maker's of half-dolls.

wlwhittier likes this.
  9. Martin s

Yea was hoping that blob as you describe it might ring a bell with someone.tried to get a good close up picture of it.but it realy stands out when handling the piece.it almost looks like a jesters hat.

wlwhittier and moreotherstuff like this.
  10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The bobbed hair,the short dress,the colors ,the geometric patterns ,the cloche hat all scream 20s-30s.

GollyGeeWhiz, Sedona, bluumz and 2 others like this.
  11. Martin s

Thanks for all the info everyone.if it is indeed one of a pair of bookends dont think i will get to re unite it with the other end anytime soon.

I do like it tho

wlwhittier likes this.
  12. Sdcookie2

Sdcookie2 Well-Known Member

13. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Yes, I agree with that time period. But what makes it Art Deco?

14. Martin s

Yea came across Robj porcelain while researching and Robj did do bookends if that what she is.i wonder were all Robj porcelain stamped or marked at the bottom tho?

15. Sdcookie2

Sdcookie2 Well-Known Member

I have owned several pieces of Robj that were unmarked. Not all pieces were marked.

16. Martin s

Thats good to know.will go with Robj so unless someone has another opinion,

Thank you all

17. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

it could be goebel - and it could even be noritake - regardless its a very desirable piece...

18. Martin s

Excuse me but i am learning all the time but why would you describe it as very desirable? And what does very desirable mean in porcelain figurines.ie is it limited edition figurine

Thanks for help

19. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Limited edition stuff is generally not worth much nor particularly desirable. There are numerous factors that go into it and really the best way is to look at books from the library, go to museums if possible, watch the British and American Antique Roadshows, etc. The figure here is nicely modelled, carefully painted (and those orange and black colours scream art deco!), there are no chips and cracks. A good collectible IMHO even though the maker is not nailed down but I would go with what the others have said.

Sedona and bluumz like this.
  20. Martin s

Thank you should have her on desplay but will probably go back into attic with most of my finds.
    Been colecting all sorts for a while now.Wife not happy!

Thank you for all the info

kentworld and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted