Art Deco Phone by two companies?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 916Bulldogs123, Jul 8, 2021.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I purchased this phone and when i got home and started researching i found the phone is made by Western Electric. the handset is made by Leich electric. Was this normal switching parts from different companies? Or is this just a marriage? I was also wondering what this phone was for? no crank and no dial.
    Mikey
    atree 27222.jpg atree 27223.jpg atree 27225.jpg atree 27227.jpg atree 27229.jpg

bercrystal likes this.
  2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

3. 916Bulldogs123

Thank @Kronos. This must be earlier than the one you posted?
    Mikey

pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's a dialess extension phone, so could be equally an office or hotel room, say. Jiggling the handset rest generates an electric current DC, down the line to the swichboard. Often used with dolls' eye boards. Here, dialess phones were used well after WW2.

Not unusual to get different makers for components.

5. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

bercrystal and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  6. 916Bulldogs123

All this information is amazing. Thank you all very much.
    Mikey

bercrystal likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

I started my IT career in telephony. Funny how stuff sticks in the mind.

916Bulldogs123 and bercrystal like this.
  8. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

Similar to @Ownedbybear I once worked for the Post Office Research Station at Dollis Hill London (1962-63). It was my first job out of apprenticeship. A great variety of work.

They has a fascinating room of telephone hand receivers that had been developed and modelled. The Post Office also had a public museum at its head office in the St. Pauls area of London. Don't know what happened to it when the telephone service was privatised and became British Telecoms.

9. 916Bulldogs123

So the 102 vs 202 is a different handset made by Western? Not Leich?
    Mikey

10. Ownedbybear

@Brian Warshaw

If I tell you I was a TTS, husband was an AEE and I've been down the Paddock bunker...@ ;)

And inside what was the research station quite often in the last decade, too.

bercrystal likes this.
  11. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

The base is by Western Electric, model 102/202. The handset is a replacement by Leich.

12. Brian Warshaw

A small world.

I left Dollis Hill in May 1963 to wander through Spain in the footsteps of Laurie Lee. I was only there for two years, and decided I was not a civil service sort of person, but in my time, it was the most interesting engineering office I ever worked in. I worked on bits and pieces for Goonhilly Downs, the Monarch cable laying vessel, wave guides, a new TIM for Australia, and a valve closing machine for the sub-sea repeater stations.

I remember the day George Blake escaped from prison, and 24 hours later we had the first ever security check of our cards before being admitted.

But I had political aspirations, and I didn’t think I would survive too long.

I don’t recall the reason; but the tea trolley was withdrawn from the morning and afternoon, so we had to organise it ourselves. People put money in for tea, coffee and milk; but not for sugar, and those who took it bought their own. This because it wasn’t fair to those who didn’t take it, to contribute to the fund. I don’t take sugar with tea to this day. Wonder what it would be like today.

I hope your time was as good as mine.

God, I hope I haven’t been breeching the Official Secrets Act.

Potteryplease likes this.
  13. Brian Warshaw

Draft saved Draft deleted