Art Deco dresser

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Laura808, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Laura808

Laura808 Member

Aloha everyone!
    I just picked up this dresser and I'm curious about how old it is and hoping that one of you beautiful people can help me. It's solid wood (I'm pretty sure that it's oak, although I'm terrible at wood ID) with possibly a walnut veneer on the drawers. The only markings on it are on the back of the drawer pulls: K36 and on the other side 88. Thanks for any and all help! And if anyone has any suggestions for furniture ID books/sources I would love to have resource material on hand that I can trust (other than y'all!)
    Thanks again! IMG_4059.JPG IMG_4059.JPG IMG_4087.JPG IMG_4089.JPG IMG_4090.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks to be walnut veneer with some other wood stained for contrast (likely birch or beech). I don't see any oak. I think 1930s is a pretty good bet for time frame.

There is no one book as a resource and there is no substitute for experience. Furniture of the Depression Era (Swedberg) is a pretty good basic primer for furniture from this era. I see there is a book, American Manufactured Furniture (Fredgant) but I have no first hand experience with it. There are similar books for Victorian and other styles. You can spend a lot of money on books and never have enough resources to be able to identify things. I know from experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted