Featured Art deco (cocktail) table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Jeff Drum, Aug 14, 2024.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I have mostly collected 18th century New England, and danish MCM furniture, but I also love the aesthetic of early 20th Art Deco. So when I see a period piece that seems to qualify, I am interested.

This three level table needed some work: the base was loose and falling off, the black paint on the edges partially gone, various scars and scratches, especially to the four panel figured veneer top. One of the good things about finding furniture showing age that needs repair, is that you can see internal construction details that are typically hidden.

In this case, the hide glue and smooth dowel construction makes me believe this to be made in the deco period, possibly up to mid century, and not a later 80s remake which is much more common to see these days. I don’t think the black paint edges and mahogany and crotch mahogany veneer would be much past Deco period.

My problem is that I would like to find a similar piece, and I haven’t been able to do so. Hoping that those of you adept at using image search may be able to find something. I really love the three levels being held with an asymmetrical center support, seems so Deco to me, but I can’t find anything like it. Size 23” high, each table 13-3/4” diameter. The only photo I couldn’t load was chalk writing of number “32” under the top table, the only marking. Thoughts?
    IMG_0873.jpeg IMG_0875.jpeg IMG_0876.jpeg IMG_0878.jpeg IMG_0879.jpeg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's a sweet little guy !!!!

pearlsnblume and Jeff Drum like this.
  3. Matahari

Matahari Well-Known Member

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

As Matahari showed, these are generally French.

5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

BoudiccaJones, johnnycb09 and komokwa like this.
  6. Matahari

Matahari Well-Known Member

ok just been told this is actually called a whatnot blush.gif

SOREEE :)

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  7. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Certainly could be French. As an engineer I spend a lot of time looking at design and construction and this piece has such a distinctive design that I would expect to be able to find another example of it, but so far nada. The ones matahari found are as similar as I have seen in overall appearance (round, mahogany veneer with black, multi-level) but not the same unusual design. It looks like it would be unstable, supported in only one quadrant, but actually is rock solid - not a table you want to stand on to change a lightbulb, however!

I would appreciate any other ideas on how to seek out a similar one to try to understand its design history.

Draft saved Draft deleted