Armchairs and chairs, what style ?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Daniel78, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Daniel78

Daniel78 New Member

Hello
    Can anyone help me identify these chairs ? I have the entire set, settee , chairs and armchairs.
    Looks like Thonet Josef Hoffmann style, the legs are not straight though.

Thank you IMG_20210809_155929.jpg IMG_20210810_151255.jpg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

Appear to be inspired by Hoffmann designs, like the "Fledermaus" chairs designed in 1905 and first produced by Jacob and Josef Kohn of Vienna. Variations were later produced by Thonet and others. Furniture makers of the time liberally borrowed designs of other companies, making it difficult to determine the maker from the style alone. Furniture in this style is usually labeled as Viennese Secession or Wiener Werkstätte. These were offshoots of Art Nouveau so you sometimes see it labeled as that, or the German term Jugendstil.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    johnnycb09 likes this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I get the Hoffman reference and you might call these secessionist. However, the arm chair could also be considered an empire revival barrel chair. The side chair, a variation off same.

johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Daniel78

Daniel78 New Member

Thank you.
    I already bought them, do they have a real value ?

5. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

You can look on sites like Liveauctioneers.com and Chairish.com/pinkbook to get an idea of what similar groups sell for. Marked sets by a respected maker like Kohn, Thonet, or Wittmann will always sell for more. And it helps to have a complete set with settee as you do. That said, a set "in the style of" Hoffmann, and probably needing new upholstery, is not going to fetch a whole lot. Maybe in the $300-$500 range in my part of the world (Texas).

Draft saved Draft deleted