Are these Sevres Urns and what is the value?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Katie Lansing, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Katie Lansing

Katie Lansing Member

2. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

They're not Sevre marks. They used crossed swords, while yours have crossed arrows.

Anybody know if William Guerin's son Andre did any decoration?

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

You are confusing Meissen, which was crossed swords, with Sevres, which was interlaced Ls. Neither of which is crossed arrows as on this.

Figtree3, judy, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  4. Katie Lansing

Katie Lansing Member

So it's not Sevres? What would they be? I did a google search and some came up with the crossed arrows saying it was a Sevres mark.

judy and KSW like this.
  5. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

Ugghhh....long day. :dead:

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Rontgen has a section on Meissen marks that includes a lot of variations by other companies that get misidentified. There are several crossed arrow marks of which the most promising seems to be Bourdois and Bloch in Paris 1890-1948. But it's a shot in the dark.

Christmasjoy, Figtree3, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. Katie Lansing

Katie Lansing Member

Bourdois & Bloch looks exactly like my mark. I also read that they styled their products like Meissen, Sevres and Royal Vienna porcelain. But I can't find any urns only figurines from that company. I have been finding urns by Vincent Dubois. Would these be by him?

8. Katie Lansing

Katie Lansing Member

There is also a sticker on the bottom saying it is Vincennes porcelain. If that might mean something?

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think someone a lot more recent is trading on an old name.

Christmasjoy, Figtree3 and judy like this.
  10. Katie Lansing

Katie Lansing Member

Is it possible to look up these urns by the artist that signed the image painted on it? Just not sure the A, would Andre be correct?

11. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

Not sevres but Geyer & Körbitz imo

However there is a red stamp with words "made in france" stampt on it, the crossed arrows mark is used by Porzellanfabrik Geyer & Körbitz (1890 until 1900) and later Porzellanfabrik Kalk Germany-Thuringa- Eisenberg.
    Geyer & Körbitz crossed arrow.png
    also Arnart and some other firm used a crossed arrow mark.
    crosses arrow.png

12. Katie Lansing

Katie Lansing Member

So what company had both marks together? The Bourdois & Bloch from what I found is the closest but can really only find figurines, not urns that they made.
    I was hoping I could find the artist the signed the image.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

That "made in France" makes me question a German attribution. That would have been noticed and would have been a problem at the time.

It's unlikely you will find the artist. There was a 19th C painter A. Guerin, but it's a leap to suggest it's the same person.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

i am not sure about the bourdois & bloch (BB) because the feathers are different. On the other hand, the words made in France with BB mark does make sense bordois and bloch.png

15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'm not sure about Bourdoin and Bloch either, but I do think we are looking for a French company. "Made in France" would have no cachet to a German manufacturer. The Germans don't play second fiddle to anyone in porcelain manufacture.

There is another company, Bloch & Cie., also from Rontgen, but that's just another shot in the dark.

anundverkaufen likes this.
  16. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

Yes, you are right.

17. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

The crossed objects do not look the same as each other to me. Could it be and arrow and a sword, or an arrow and something else?

18. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think more likely just the sort of variance you get with hand drawn marks... a bit heavy handed on the stroke.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  19. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

the mark could be Manufacture de la Courtille (Locre)

locre.png

Christmasjoy and moreotherstuff like this.
  20. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I keep coming back to that "Made in France", which most likely moves the date after the 1890s into sometime in the 20th C. "Made in" became an import requirement for goods shipped to the U.S. after 1891.

Christmasjoy and popsycat like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted