Are these Sake glasses ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Miscstuff, May 12, 2016.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Picked these up recently and I'm not sure if they are Japanese wine tasting glasses or sake glasses. I guess the Japanese could sip their wine but me I guzzle it! One of them still has part of a "made in Japan" sticker on it so I don't think they are terribly old. Maybe 1970s etc. They appear to be silver plate and have two tiny marks on either side. Not sure if that has significance. The glasses are 5.7mm(2.25') high and 4.8mm(1.9”) round.

Any ideas??

Cheers
    Stephen

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The holders have a grape design......so...not sake glasses.

Wanttoknow and yourturntoloveit like this.
  3. david heller III

david heller III New Member

Port or sherry?

Wanttoknow likes this.
  4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

They weren't necessarily made for the Japanese market, so, yes, whatever works.

5. Wanttoknow

Wanttoknow Well-Known Member

These glasses for Port Wine.
    "Although viticulture and the cultivation of grapes for table consumption has a long history in Japan, domestic wine production using locally produced grapes only really began with the adoption of Western cultureduring the Meiji restoration in the second half of the 19th century." AKADAMA_sweet_wine_poster.jpg
    Advertising poster of "AKADAMA Port Wine”, the first published in 1922

6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

They're cordial glasses, intended for liqueurs...

~Cheryl

7. fEATHER

fEATHER New Member

Agree with the cordial glasses.

The McKinley tariff act of 1891 required that imported products be labeled with the country of origin, and in 1914 the words "made in" were required as well and in 1921 it was required that items be labeled with the country of origin in English.

Items brought in by ancestors did not count.

8. Wanttoknow

Wanttoknow Well-Known Member

There are couple countries which are doing it the best... Labels: Made In China and Made in India are glued to items FOREVER. :hilarious:

9. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Thanks for the help everyone. Liqueur glasses it is. Still not sure if the marks on the sides are a manufacturers marks or not but that's a mystery that may not be easily solved.
    Stephen

Draft saved Draft deleted