Are these knife handles Catalin?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Brian Warshaw, Jul 17, 2023.

1. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

In my many years I have not, until today, ever come across Catalin. Are the knife handles made of Catalin?

In addition to the random brown colour, they appear to have an internal grain running throughout it's length.

@wlwhittier Thanks for your posting, or life would have passed me by without ever heard of Catalin.

handle 3.jpg

handle 1.jpg

handle 2a.jpg

Thank you.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Appear more like cattle horn

Catalin is just another name for Bakelite and would have the same formaldehyde smell

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I don't think those are horn; the collars look like "tin". Horn would have better quality metal. I think bakelite/catalin would too.

5. Brian Warshaw

@Bakersgma @terry5732 @evelyb30

Well, I have tried the hot running-water test, the thumb rubbing test, the creme cleaner test, and the the knocking of two handles together. The knocking test produced different sounds depending on the volume of material, the running-water and thumb test were negative, and the creme cleaner test took a lot of dirt away but no yellowing.

That said, you have opened up a whole new can of worms. The knife blade is marked is marked "five-point star" EUROPA "five-point star" second line "Inox Rostfrei" with a third line "Depose"

Inox in French is stainless steel
    Rostfrei in German is stainless steel
    Depose in French is deposit, and in German it is deposited.

I cannot find a Brand EUROPA.

There is an interesting article about Rostfrei knives at https://knifebasics.com/what-is-a-rostfrei-knife/?expand_article=1

All of which doesn't answer my original question. Dear, oh dear, oh dear.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm in the horn camp.

Brian Warshaw likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Depose means the design was registered. Like a patent in the US.

the blacksmith and Brian Warshaw like this.
  8. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

To my eye, they appear to be imitation horn, would suggest either acrylic or galalith...

~Cheryl

9. the blacksmith

the blacksmith Well-Known Member

If they were perhaps galalith, would not the internal grain that Brian Warshaw noticed not rule this out?

Brian Warshaw likes this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

could I bother you for a clear shot of the end , butt...of a couple of handles///?

11. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Similar 'horn' has been produced in both acrylic and galalith for decades, both also used for cutlery handles, though often misidentified as bakelite, not sure why internal 'grain' or streaking would eliminate those materials. If natural horn, personally would be surprised to see that shape, all appearing identical and apparently molded and/or machined, and though the streaking is random, the consistency in color over five pieces would be a bit unusual for natural horn.

Would be nice if images of the pieces in entirety, and perhaps the marks as well were provided - can often be helpful in researching...

~Cheryl

all_fakes, the blacksmith and komokwa like this.
  12. Brian Warshaw

@komokwa @DragonflyWink Photos attached.

I have communicated with a seller on Etsy who is selling some knives with similar looking handles as mine [tone not shape]. They say they believe it is horn.

Butt end.jpg

Mark.jpg

Knife.jpg

komokwa and the blacksmith like this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

thank you....

to my eye the butt ends are more consistent with man made material....not horn.

all_fakes and Brian Warshaw like this.