Featured Are these earrings Juliana?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by CJF, Jan 13, 2019.

1. CJF

CJF Active Member

Hi,

Need someone who can tell me if these beauties are indeed a Juliana piece?

I am leaning very much toward yes by how they are made.

Not 100% sure as I do not sell a lot jewelry.

They measures about 2" long.

Thanks Much! jewelry 816.JPG

jewelry 810.JPG ,

2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Where have you done your research? It helps us to know so we know where to look next :happy:

pearlsnblume, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. CJF

CJF Active Member

All over the internet, ebay, etc.

Christmasjoy, cxgirl and judy like this.
  4. CJF

CJF Active Member

I do not have many books on jewelry...just a few.

Christmasjoy, cxgirl and judy like this.
  5. Marie Forjan

I would caution anyone using eBay as reference. No one polices the listings and I can list my mother’s costume jewelry bought in Woolworth as Cartier fine jewelry!

There are links to D&E verification sites that may help you, I will be back after to Eagles game to post a few. But football first!

6. CJF

CJF Active Member

From what I just found, the clip does not appear to be one that was used, so still not certain that these are.
    Some of the info. I've read is kinda conflicting, and a bit confusing.
    Hoping someone comes along that can tell me for definite if these earrings ARE, or ARE NOT Juliana.

7. Marie Forjan

OK, half time is a wonderful thing...

First I have to give some history of D&E. They were in business for a long time, they were jobbers making jewelry for companies like Weiss. At some point they came out with their own line called Juliana. It was not very successful and they made it for a year or two.

Fast forward and Juliana pieces became highly collectible. Juliana pieces were only made for a limited time, but now anything made by D&E is popularly called Juliana. To be accurate, all Juliana is made by D&E, not all D&E is Juliana, not by a long shot.

So you have research ahead of you! My initial thought is your earrings were not made by D&E because it was unusual for them to use the multi-prong setting that is on the larger rhinestones in your earrings. But I could be wrong.

So here are some sites that give information, none of them are selling sites, they are all information sites. As I said above, do not use eBay as a resource!

A FaceBook group for D&E:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/357615157762877/

A site where you can input a pieces description to see if it is D&E:
    http://isitjulianajewelry.com/index...nts=&Stone_Types=&Stone_Shapes=&submit=Search

A training site for what to look for to confirm D&E:
    http://imageevent.com/kjwshopping/detrainingalbums/metalfindings

Lastly a site listing examples of pieces that are not made by D&E though they look promising:
    http://imageevent.com/kjwshopping/detrainingalbums/notdande

8. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Agreed!

9. CJF

CJF Active Member

I tried all those you mentioned but the Facebook one.
    Don't particularly like Facebook so likely won't check there.
    upload_2019-1-13_18-26-22.jpeg

pearlsnblume likes this.
  10. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Whatever they are, they are definitely a cut above average. Elaborate with nice construction, open backed stones, always a good sign. I would not be shocked to learn they were Juliana or some better costume jewelry designer.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  11. CJF

CJF Active Member

One thing I did read...
    My earrings seem to have the same "claw look" to the prongs; mentioned on one of the sites I visited.

pearlsnblume, judy and cxgirl like this.
  12. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Sorry, but I'm not seeing that.
    The "claw-like arrangement of prongs" referred to means that the prongs are not placed equidistant around the stone. In the photo below, see how the four prongs are like a pair of upper teeth and a pair of lower teeth around the small round stones.

julianaclaw1.jpg

I have also not (never say never, right? LOL) seen a D&E piece with so many prongs surrounding the larger stones like yours has.
    And as you said, the clip style used on your earrings are not a style used by D&E.

That said, they are beautiful earrings!

13. CJF

CJF Active Member

Ok, I am going with NOT Juliana! Unless someone comes along with something proving otherwise.
    upload_2019-1-13_20-37-22.jpeg

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

they say it is not common but they did multi-pronged pieces:)
    http://imageevent.com/kjwshopping/d...prongeddejewelry;jsessionid=e3hxj8g8m1.frog_s
    check out #8 and 12
    http://imageevent.com/kjwshopping/detrainingalbums/deearringbacks
    I'm with Lucille, these are very nice:)

15. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

judy and cxgirl like this.
  16. CJF

CJF Active Member

Ok, with all that fabulous new information... I will now say they ARE definitely a pair of Juliana earrings.
    I'm usually a wonder at "search and find", not sure how I missed finding all those great images.

upload_2019-1-14_7-14-14.jpeg and a big Thank-You!

cxgirl and judy like this.
  17. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Seriously, I don't mean to be always raining on your parade but not every quality rhinestone jewelry piece is "definitely" D&E. There were a lot of quality pieces made by other companies that look very similar... hence the frequent confusion of many hopeful jewelry collectors. One has only to look through those "NOT D&E" albums to see examples of these pieces.

That imageevent site used to have a way to submit photos for verification (which is what I did on some pieces... and how I got the info that I've stated so far). Mr DeLizza himself would look over the submissions now and then and give a yes or a no. (Two of mine were yes, and one - the one with multi-prongs - was no.) Is there still a way to do this?

And I do extend my apologies about my lack of D&E multi-prong knowledge. I truly don't remember seeing that particular album when I was last researching D&E years ago, and I erroneously repeated what I'd been told. :oops:

Sorry to sound discouraging... I know I tend to be overly cautious sometimes!! I would keep researching and keep trying to contact "experts" (which I am not, LOL).

cxgirl and judy like this.
  18. CJF

CJF Active Member

Been selling antiques for over 30 years and have had so called "experts" end up being wrong about quite a few things I wondered about. (Not talking about on these forums).

In turn lost a lot of money because of their supposed and trusted knowledge.

The photos provided here speak for themselves as to what is considered a Juliana piece. I don't feel anymore proof is needed.

Again, thanks everyone for all your time and help!
    upload_2019-1-14_10-31-37.jpeg

19. Marie Forjan

Remember what I said above:
    "Juliana pieces were only made for a limited time, but now anything made by D&E is popularly called Juliana. To be accurate, all Juliana is made by D&E, not all D&E is Juliana, not by a long shot."

20. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Those aren't D&E clip backs.

bluumz likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted