Are these 2 bowls from same manufacturer?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Catherine Spry, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Catherine Spry

Catherine Spry New Member

Bowl #1: RS Prussia Porcelain Bowl Mold 42 called Picket Fence Design 10" (photo's below)

etsybowl_front.jpg
    etsybowl_mark.jpg

I don't understand why I always see bowl #1 listed as RS Prussia, but mark on back says 'Germany Saxe Altenburg'. Does anyone else know? From what I read, it appears that the original 2 families that started each company were not related, and none of the RS Prussia marks I've ever seen only say Germany Saxe Altenburg.

Bowl #2 (photo's below)

fbm_bowl.jpg

Bowl #2 does not have any mark on back. It does appear to make use of the picket fence design, scalloped edge, and the pointy spikes (?) around edge of bowl. I recently found bowl #2 for sale, but passed on buying it for $10.00, as without a mark, I'd have no way of authenticating it. I'm basing this on about 7 other pieces I've bought in the past (unmarked), and only 1 of them have I been able to id (I assume due to my being new to collecting). I also know lots of designs were copied by different manufacturers too.

So, can someone tell me: Did I pass up a good deal by known manufacturer, or did I pass on a 'knock off' of sorts?

I think I need a better way of locating the info I want: If anyone have any tips they can share as to how one can determine who made unmarked pieces (like bowl #2)? I try using several search engines (google, bing, and such) and search with written description (this method has not worked so far) and then with a picture of piece (reverse image search), which has worked on the 1 unmarked piece I have that I did id. It feels like both methods are not working very well, but I haven't been able to come up with any other ways to do this, so far.

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted