Are these 1700's first edition book engravings?

Discussion in 'Books' started by benbenny007, Jun 14, 2017.

1. benbenny007

benbenny007 I buy rubbish, and sell antiques

Need second/third opinions and help. Got these three copper engravings which look 18th century to me. I believe they come out the book Fables Choisies Mises by J. De La Fontaine 1755-59. These illustrations were specially designed by Jean Baptiste Oudry (1686 - 1755) and engraved by Noel Le Mere, Dominique Sornique and other engravers.

Am I correct with my research? I know we do not talk value but can not find a site were these have been sold in single sheets, could only find the complete book. Need some guidelines or a good website.
    Any info/input is welcome

https://www.abebooks.com/FABLES-CHOISIES-Mises-J-Fontaine-Jean/12486500596/bd

20170614_210752_resized.jpg
    20170614_210827_resized.jpg
    20170614_210840_resized.jpg
    20170614_210849_resized.jpg

Attached Files:

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Single plates from books of the 18th C are not uncommon and not worth much. If you could find someone who wanted a specific plate or plates to repair an incomplete volume you might be able to hold them to ransom a bit, but mostly the buyer would not want a specific plate very badly and would shrug and move on.

benbenny007 likes this.
  3. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

You can find individual plates from the Fables books that look a lot like yours selling for 5-10 bucks on ebay.

benbenny007 likes this.
  4. benbenny007

You make a good point. I'm not really into engravings and normally stay away from them.

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

L. Le Mire is probably Louis Le Mire, the brother of Noel. He died at age 19 and is known for little other than his engravings for this work.

Any watermarks in the paper?

benbenny007 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  6. benbenny007

Will do maybe the same and let people fight it out. It's almost impossible to put a date on them with all the reprints

7. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

I'd think the one with the skeleton would do good if advertised right.

benbenny007 likes this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

How does the size of your prints compare to the size of the folios in the Abebooks link?

benbenny007 likes this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

How does the size of your print compare to the size of the folios in the Abebooks link?

These books are right up there in terms of 18th century publications.

benbenny007 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The borders on yours are correct for the earlier French Edition, as are the titles and the notations beneath the borders. These are different from the prints being offered on eBay, which are from later editions and different artists.

The mid-18th century French edition was published by Charles Antoine Jombert in Paris.

benbenny007 likes this.
  12. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Are you saying you were the seller and happy with the result?

From the little I know, it had all the bells and whistles, and it was a bargain. Those things happen.

Also, you yourself pointed out that some images will be more interesting than others.

Did you look at that Christie's link?

I'm going to start watching these things. I'd like to have a couple of engravings from this work, and I'll take advantage if they're cheap enough to fit my budget.

benbenny007 likes this.
  14. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

No, I was just wondering if I had missed something or was mistaken in thinking those that the seller had were of the same edition/time frame as the ones above. It does suck for him they went for so low apparently.

Six years is plenty of time for the market to drop out on an item though, and those ones were nicely framed.

benbenny007 likes this.
  15. benbenny007

Thankh you moreotherstuff, youve been a great help. The sizes of the complete pages are approx 41.5x28.5cm.

16. benbenny007

Two of the three have a watermark. One with a what looks like a flower and the other one has a text watermark but can't read it. Paper is from the period.

20170615_063848_resized.jpg
    20170615_063932_resized.jpg 20170615_063909_resized.jpg

17. benbenny007

Let me know what your budget is and maybe we can work something out. I've seen a section on this forum were people buy and sell items which I wanted to try out. Can you recommend selling on this forum? I got also ebay and paypal. Pm me

18. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'm having very little success with the watermarks. The grape pattern may indicate a Montgolfier paper produced in Annonay. If so, that's the same Montgolfier family that made the first hot air balloon. They used paper of their own manufacture for the skin.

afantiques likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted