Are the coin people over here now?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by dcjunker, Sep 1, 2014.

1. dcjunker

dcjunker Member

I see Davey (natch), AF, Terry... I have another friend's coin collection to ask some questions about. In particular, something marked "St. Patrick Farthing Extremely Fine very rare in this grade." Also a "Rhode Island Ship Token 1779 EF" and some Alaska Tokens.

2. dcjunker

dcjunker Member

Sorry about the blurry first photo. When I look up St. Patrick's farthing they show as copper but this doesn't look copper. And the Rhode Island thing seems to be valuable in pewter? And are these Alaska things likely gold? They are 1897 1900 and 1/4 (that one says ALASKA GOLD). coins 001.JPG coins 001.JPG

Attached Files:

3. dcjunker

dcjunker Member

I am afraid to open them to photograph them.

4. dcjunker

dcjunker Member

5. dcjunker

dcjunker Member

6. dcjunker

dcjunker Member

7. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I checked my Standard Catalog of United States Tokens 1700-1900.
    The only Alaska Tokens are post 1900 however I understand they are heavily counterfeited like the California Gold tokens.

No trace of the Rhode island token.

See here for the unofficial St Patrick`s Farthing.
    http://www.irishcoinage.com/M00267.HTM

8. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

9. dcjunker

dcjunker Member

OK hi Davey, thanks very much! They are from my friend's mother's collection.

10. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

No harm opening the 2x2 holders, just prise out the staples and it is customary to hold coins by the edge to avoid finger marks on back and front. No need to open the fractional gold ones, you could sell all three together. I am only familiar with the Californian fractional gold issues, and not very familiar with them. I have never seen the Alaskan ones but they should be easy to research. The ship token is similar to a British halfpenny token of the period, but the US issue will boost the price considerably.

Condition of the last two is all important,I can certainly comment on that if you un-entomb them. terry or davey may well be more au fait with the US issues.

11. afantiques

Afterthought, since the Alaska gold case is open, you could weigh the coins on a scale capable of reading fractions of a gram, which would go a long way to determining authenticity.

12. dcjunker

dcjunker Member

OK, thank you, AF. I'm going to share this thread with my friend and see how far he wants me to go with it. Maybe have to get back to it later in the week.

13. afantiques

If you do take it to the coin board I'd like a link. Never too old to learn.

14. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

15. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Green on your gold is a sure sign it isn't gold

I suspect by the descriptions on the 2x2s that these are fakes sold to suckers

16. dcjunker

dcjunker Member

Thanks, both. I was wondering about that green. But is it possible that it was left by the sorts of holders shown in Spirit's image?

17. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Gold does not get verdigris that I know of???

18. afantiques

The marks on the rim of the larger coin look like solder marks from a mount, many of these very small coins were used in jewellery and it is how many of them happen to be preserved.

19. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Reading this thread reminded me of something I totally had forgotten I had ! Thought you all might like to see what NOT to buy ! LOL! DSCN2868.JPG

Attached Files:

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  20. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Speaking of forgotten,I also found these that I thought I had sold ! I REALLY need to look around this place !
    DSCN2876.JPG

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted