Featured Apron motif

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by CatEyes, Aug 4, 2021.

1. CatEyes

CatEyes Member

Picked up this half apron at a tag sale recently - I was drawn to its vibrant colors and design. When I got home and looked at it more closely, noticed the curious figure motif. Does anyone know what it may depict? History is not my strong suit. My thought was that its probably from 1970s based on color/fabric. Feels to be cotton. No tags. Thanks for any insights! IMG_2100rsz.jpg rsz_img_2102.jpg

rsz_img_2103.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

India or thereabouts, I think. @Any Jewelry will know for sure.

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The figures look cribbed from some "exotic" locale. If they're Indian the fabric could be from India. It's odd that it ended up as a middle-American half apron!

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Houseful, judy and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Looks like cotton sari fabric. I think it's 50s.

Debora and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd think mid-century -- 1950s or 1960s -- but doubt as late as 1970s. Aprons came off about the same time bras did.

Debora

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Length would be helpful. A 1950s apron is going to be longer than one from the 1960s. Yours is a hostess apron (not a kitchen apron) and looks quite long.

Debora

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  8. Vintage Maven

Vintage Maven Well-Known Member

If I may say, I can see why you were drawn to the brilliant colours & design, whatever it’s purpose or era, I like it too….very nice! ❤️Maven

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    CatEyes likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It was a sophisticated thing in its time.

Debora

10. CatEyes

CatEyes Member

Makes a lot of sense...

11. CatEyes

CatEyes Member

"Hostess apron", thank you for the proper term. It measures 20''.

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

20" is below the knee. I would think that would put it in the 1950s.

Debora

1950s-tired-housewife-in-apron-standing-vintage-images.jpg

Potteryplease likes this.
  13. CatEyes

CatEyes Member

Thought we were accurate the first time but went back to measure again, flat this time, because it falls above knee and I'm not particularly tall. Shows 19" - not sure if this makes a difference... Were most aprons handmade at the time? rsz_img_2106_measure_3.jpg

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Aprons were either homemade or store bought. (A quick Google Image search will bring up lots of vintage patterns.) You should be able to tell from finishing which yours is. Given gathering and pattern it would have taken some time and care to make. Designed to cover dress so skirt length would fall below. Still think mid-century.

Debora

15. CatEyes

CatEyes Member

Thanks so much, Debora.

Debora likes this.
  16. CatEyes

CatEyes Member

Also found this piece of vintage fabric recently that appears to refer to a war involving India. Search hasn't uncovered anything yet as to what specifically it might represent... Any ideas? IMG_2259 (4)ques.JPG

17. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Try Persian rather than Indian on that. It's very like some jewellery. You've got Mongol hordes on it, too.

18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Persian horn.

Debora

d7hftxdivxxvm.cloudfront.net.jpg

19. CatEyes

CatEyes Member

Interesting, I'm seeing the horn on the apron - is it also on the yellow (maybe I'm too tired)? Mongolian did come to mind. Thanks for these clues.

20. CatEyes

CatEyes Member

Right??

Draft saved Draft deleted