Apache Mana 1948 Artist ID help

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by 916Bulldogs123, Feb 23, 2020.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I was hoping there might be a list of Apache Potters so I could ID this little Bowl thing.
    Mikey

atree 23195.jpg
    atree 23193.jpg
    atree 23194.jpg
    atree 23196.jpg

2. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Mana Pottery is not Native American. It was a corporation started by Immanuel Trujillo, and now headed by Anne Zapf and Matthew Kent, none of whom is Native American.

The corporation operates a factory producing the pottery, which funds the Peyote Way Church whose sole function is to promote the use of peyote.

Mana was not a member of any tribe. His background is vague. He was born to an unwed teen mother, and adopted by a family in Phillipsburg, New Jersey. He was raised as James Coyle. Although it is sometimes claimed that his father was an "Apache" Indian, that is unclear. It was never proven to the point that he could claim membership in any Apache tribe.

Confusion comes because he sometimes wrote "Apache" on his pots. It supposedly referred to the town of Apache, Arizona, where he lived, not to tribal affiliation, since there was none.

3. 916Bulldogs123

Thank you Taupou. yes the Apache made it confusing.
    Mikey

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

@Taupou
    As always you come through with some of the best information.
    Thank you for being part of our board.

5. 916Bulldogs123

What she said times ten!!!

6. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Always glad when there is something I can offer help on! Thank you for the kind responses.

There is a lot of "misinformation" about Mana Pottery on the internet. The pottery is quite collectible, but often the stories surrounding it are inaccurate. The corporation has its own website, at manapottery.com. and more information can be found on the Peyote Way website.

The dates frequently written on the pots may have nothing to do with when they were made. 1948 for example, is a reference to when Trujillo learned to make pottery, in the crafts room of an Army hospital, where he was recovering from a brain injury received in World War II.

1984 refers to the year the pottery was incorporated, 1986 the date he was arrested, and then acquitted, for possession of peyote.

He was born in 1928, died in 2010.

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Taupou,
    Thank you for all of your knowledge that you share with us. It is so wonderful to have you on this board.
    greg

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@Taupou , I just wanted to chime in to say that your participation in these discussions is very much appreciated. :)

9. Sidkurtz

Sidkurtz New Member

This is very interesting. I knew Mana back in the early 60's when I was a young child. He rented a huge space (warehouse) from my father in Denver. He was living with Rena Paradis and we have a few of her pieces from back in the day, along with Mana's. I had no idea he was not Apache. He loved peyote however!!! He gave us beautiful Indian rugs, one was a prayer rug (which we still have) and I still have the moccassins he gave me. Not sure if he made them or not. And he painted images on the walls of the warehouse rather interestingly. Thank you for all the information! My name is Sid and I still live in Colorado!

Draft saved Draft deleted