Anyone seen these unusual nude candle holders(?) before?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Dec 21, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these yesterday at a local thrift store. I think they may be wood? with cork bottoms.

I tried an image search but nothing came up. There is what kind of looked like letters on the thigh of the man in the photo, but I'm not sure - it doesn't look like anything to the naked eye (maybe becaise of the unusual color/finish?)
    Speaking of naked -the man is anatomically correct; they wouldn't do that with a mass produced piece for tourists, or decor right?)

Has anyone seen these before? Are they candle holders? Any idea of age, or anything about them?
    Thank you!

CANDLE HOLDER NUDES 1AA.jpg
    CANDLE HOLDER NUDES 3AA.jpg CANDLE HOLDER NUDES 2AA.jpg
    CANDLE HOLDER NUDES 4AA.jpg CANDLE HOLDER NUDES 5AA.jpg CANDLE HOLDER NUDES 6AA.jpg CANDLE HOLDER NUDES 6AAA.jpg CANDLE HOLDER NUDES 6AAAA.jpg

johnnycb09 and judy like this.
  2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I think they are really fun and have that modernist feel to them.

judy likes this.
  3. journeymagazine

Modernist - that's the name I couldn't think of; thank you!

judy likes this.
  4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Maybe a photo of what you call a "cork bottom".

They don't look like wood to my eye. Maybe some kind of resin? If they were medal they would have some serious weight.

They look post 1990s, IMO.

You sure come up with interesting items, Journey.

journeymagazine and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. journeymagazine

The cork bottom as requested - didn't realize I forgot them in original posting!

CANDLE HOLDER NUDES 7AA.jpg

6. journeymagazine

Sorry, forgot to ask - they are candle holders, right?

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Taper candles or tea lights? Which kind do you think could fit? You have not provided dimensions for the bowls on their heads have you?

8. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Could they possibly be bookends rather than candle holders?

9. journeymagazine

Sorry - 12" tall x 7" deep and bowls are 3" across & about 1/2 deep

10. journeymagazine

Back against books the base sticks out so books could wobble at top - bit maybe with the elbows against the books?

bercrystal likes this.
  11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The bowls are too wide for tapers as well as too shallow to give tapers a solid footing. I suppose someone might try tea lights up, but that makes them too much holder and not enough light IMHO. I suspect these were someone's one off experiment.

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted