Featured Anyone recognize mark? 10k Men's Intaglio

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, Oct 14, 2017.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Bought this today for $60. Weighs 6.6 grams and is 10k. The makers mark on this thing is "Trade" and then some symbol. Has anyone seen this mark before? I assume this piece is from the 40s or 50s. Nice big men's ring for me and it fits perfectly. Do you guys this is the original intaglio? if not I can't complain since I paid scrap for it and plus it still looks great on hand! Thoughts?
    20171013_214805_resized.jpg 20171013_214821_resized.jpg 20171013_214855_resized.jpg 20171013_214902_resized.jpg 20171013_214916_resized.jpg 20171013_215253_resized.jpg 20171013_215234_resized.jpg 20171013_215244_resized.jpg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Can't help with the mark, but see no reason to think the intaglio is not original to the ring. Even if the residue on the back is glue, probably just means the stone came out & had to be secured again. Looks more like accumulated grunge. Have you tried cleaning it yet? All those fine scratches suggest the stone has been knocking around for a long while. Someone wore the ring regularly, not just special occasions. It's really in pretty good condition. Ring stones take a beating and often get chipped. It's rare to see a ring with a hardstone cameo that still has the tip of the figure's nose.

If you like it, it fits you, & you paid melt down value - a good deal!

3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

All I know is that I believe you may have the cleanest hands and nails on this site!!!
    :)
    ;)

Aquitaine, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. spartcom5

Thanks! And it is glue, thats what was throwing me off about the intaglio but the ring really is in quite good condition overall! Would you agree with the 40s? Were any intaglios ever hand engraved?

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Stones are "carved" with abrasive wheels and burrs,metal is engraved and acid etched. The ring metal is thin and the ring was probably die stamped.

6. spartcom5

Thanks for clarifying! I always get the terms mixed up and am still learning. I was pretty confident that mine was probably stamped.

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

In the field of glyptics, stone cameos & intaglios are all referred to as engraved gems &, even though it is common to say a cameo is 'carved', someone who makes them is a cameo 'cutter'. Shell cameos are made using tiny chisels & other tools for scraping, so they are carved. It is perfectly correct to say an intaglio is engraved or etched.

Draft saved Draft deleted