Featured Anyone read Thai? Translation needed please.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by jsnggltt, Oct 29, 2018.

1. jsnggltt

jsnggltt Well-Known Member

Top.jpg Bottom.jpg Close Up.jpg Enhanced.jpg

Hello all,

Found a beautiful green crackle glazed bowl with an Arabic inscription and would love some help with the translation. If you have any ideas concerning period or region that would also be appreciated.

Cheers,

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Not Arabic. Thai: which makes sense with that celadon glaze.

3. jsnggltt

Thanks Ownedbybear - I've changed the name of the thread : )

i need help and kyratango like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Most welcome!

i need help likes this.
  5. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Welcome jsnggltt. My Thai partner says it is really difficult to read. He seems to think it looks reversed (mirrored), which seems strange to me, or possibly Lao language.
    However, the design is very typically Thai.

6. jsnggltt

7. AuDragon

Hi jsnggitt,
    I think others will be along to offer further suggestions or assistance from this thread allowing for time differences.

8. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

the base looks like a new reproduction celadon?:angelic:

9. AuDragon

I agree Silver Wolf. Antique Thai celadon pottery (especially Sukhothai, Sawankhalok and other early kiln-fired pottery) often (but not always) had a 3 or 4 point mark on the inside of the bowl and on the base rim, or a dark inner circle on the base from circular stand. This was a result of the way they multi-stacked the unfired pots in the kiln. See some examples of the bases below, but I'm having trouble sourcing the same feet marks for inside the bowls. Mine are in storage.

images-22.jpeg images-21.jpeg rn_795.jpg images-23.jpeg

Silver Wolf likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted