Anyone read Hebrew? And might know this makers mark? Ceramic Chalice

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by wildrose, Aug 15, 2017.

1. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

I have a lovely ceramic chalice, it has grapes and Hebrew writing on the front. Also has a maker mark chalice.jpg chalice1.jpg chalice2.jpg I cannot seem to find. Thanks for any help!

Any Jewelry and lauragarnet like this.
  2. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

judy, komokwa and lauragarnet like this.
  3. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

Thanks! I guess I didn't think google would translate things that aren't letters I know... lol

judy and Barn Owl like this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The mark looks a little like a "torii gate".

wildrose likes this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It could easily be a Japanese-made cup made for the American Jewish market. Most families have a cup like this on the table during Passover with wine in it, at least for the Seder meal. It's there just in case Elijah drops in. I have a few of them myself. Some are ceramic, some glass, some metal, and once in a blue moon wood. They're made all over the place.

6. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

There is a small but very active Jewish community in Japan - quite old. The one in China is very old, centuries old in fact. So it could have been made for a domestic market as well.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, they followed the Silk Road, and were already there during the Tang dynasty (618 – 907). Their position has always been equal to that of the majority Han population, and their was intermarriage. Most presentday Chinese Jews look very Chinese.

judy likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's certainly possible, but the odds are higher it was primarily made for export.

wildrose likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted