Anyone know what this brass/bronze cup's about ?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by bosko69, Aug 15, 2023.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Here's a little (1 3/8" ht x 2 1/2" across, 5.4 ounces) brass/bronze cup-can anyone out there ID it ?
    It seemed like an old grease cap on a Model T,but those threads on the lip don't screw on.
    Any ideas where it was made and why ?
    Thanks as always for the help.

cup1.jpg cup2.jpg cup3.jpg cup 4.jpg

2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Might not be one of Henry's, but it sure looks like an early hub cap to me, bosko.

They were used long before automobiles, on wagons, coaches, carriages & etc...all of them had axles with either journal or other bearings at the wheel-end, and thus needed to confine & maintain lubrication at that important wear-point.

A modern American manufacturer's name reflects late 19th C beginnings within it: Chicago Rawhide, founded 1878. Early hub-seals, for the inner side of wheel hubs, were made of rawhide; they provided lube-conservation an' grit exclusion at that crucial junction of rotating & stationary surfaces.

3. bosko69

It looks like some kind of early hub cap,I just don't see how the male threads would join w/ the female axle hub end.The threads are concentric and end before the bowl rim.
    It also reminds me of some kind of crucible,mortar or measuring cup-but who knows ? I can't find a mark anywhere on it-it's a stout little thing.
    Is it partially turned/lathed ?

wlwhittier likes this.
  4. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Yes, it certainly is.
    I see no 'male' threads. An' the hub cap would not thread onto the axle end, but onto the rotating hub.

5. bosko69

Whit-Thanks for the feedback.I'm a sucker for these mystery pieces.