Featured Anyone know anything about this pottery pitcher with silver design?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, Sep 16, 2016.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I have this pitcher with no marks. Probably a milk pitcher. The silver overlay looks like it was applied and then the pitcher was glazed. The silver doesn't tarnish. The pitcher is like a light ivory in color. It measures 5" high and about 5" wide at the bulbous part. Looks like it holds about 2 cups. Any ideas about where I could look for a maker etc? TY!

DSCF7125.jpg DSCF7126.jpg DSCF7127.jpg DSCF7128.jpg

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Pam,
    Probably platinum overlay instead of silver. It does not tarnish.
    greg

lauragarnet likes this.
  3. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Oh, I did not know that platinum was an option.

Maybe it's English then?

Thanks!

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Pam,
    When overlay silver does not tarnish, it is Platinum. Does not matter if USA or European. A lot of stuff here in the US is called silver due to the coloring. If it does not tarnish it is platinium not silver. A very common misconception.
    greg

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think more likely Czech than English.

6. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Is this really overlay?

7. Ownedbybear

I'd call it enamelled.

8. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

owned - yes, it might be enamel. When I run my fingers over it, I can feel the design. That's why I originally thought it was silver that had been glazed over. Enamel makes sense. Thank you.

9. Ownedbybear

Draft saved Draft deleted