Anyone know about dice?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by tyeldom3, Jun 28, 2014.

1. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

A few different types of dice, and I don't have a clue.:wacky: Thanks for your time.
    Pic #1, What type of dice? Sort of yellow in color. Scrabble?, but all the vintage Scrabble dice I find are wood. These are some type of hard plastic?
    Pic #2 small wood dice with various letters?
    Pic #3 & 4 again various letters, and what are they made of?
    Pic #5 just basic vintage dice?
    DSCN1797.JPG DSCN1798.JPG DSCN1799.JPG DSCN1800.JPG
    DSCN1796.JPG

2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Aren't those cube one with the letters and numbers for that game... Can't think of the name. Boggle?

tyeldom3 likes this.
  3. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Pics 3 & 4 and 5 look like they might be bakelite (pics 3 & 4 would be butterscotch bakelite).

Do you have any simichrome to test them?

Bakelite dice can sell pretty well.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  4. tyeldom3

:)Thank you silver & tiediecat! I really appreciate the help. I don't have any simichrome. I will try to get some soon. I was just reading online how to test for Bakelite. Can't wait to try it. I think I have an old ring that might be bakelite too. I'll update when I find out about the dice. Thanks again:cat::chicken:

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

A baking soda and water paste, rubbed on, can do the same job. Or pink/purple paste silver polish. Rubbed on with a q-tip, bakelite will turn the q-tip yellow. If you're quick, you can smell the stink too at the rubbed spot. If you have a good sniffer, you may just be able to use your thumb. Rub hard until the plastic heats up and smell for the stinky formaldehyde. Photos 3 and 4 look like bakelite, and I wouldn't be surprised about the last one either.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  6. tyeldom3

Thanks evelyb :)
    Ok, I tried baking soda paste, and that seemed to work. Then tried wrights silver polish, and that seemed to work too. I couldn't find simichrome. Went to Lowe's this morning, but they didn't have it. Just not sure about the results of what I did do....the dice in pics 3&4 do turn dark yellow. The dice in pic 5 turn yellow, but not quite as dark as the others, so I'm not sure about those. They all seem to have the same smell though, so?? Just not sure. I may try to see where else I can find simichrome.
    Found a diamond shape on a side of the dice in the first pic. I'll do some digging to try and find out what game that could be. Didn't see the diamond until today.
    Thanks everyone for the help.

7. evelyb30

If the clear ones have the same smell, you've got bakelite there too. They called the clear kind "prystal". The red bakelite doesn't oxidize as much as the white does, by a mile, so I wouldn't bother going hunting for simichrome.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  8. tyeldom3

9. tyeldom3

My reply showed up in your quote? I don't know what I did wrong oops!
    I was saying thanks Evelyb :) so kind of you to help me.

10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Boggle doesn't score by letters used, but by the lengths of words found in the grid, so they aren't for that game. These are really odd in that the orientation of the letters isn't the same from cube to cube. Some centered on the side, others to the left or right of center. Very strange.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  11. evelyb30

Scrabble dice? There was a travel game with dice like that.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  12. tyeldom3

I didn't even notice that until you said that bakersgma. That is strange.
    Here is another pic showing a few more of the dice. Only a couple of them have a diamond shape. I can't find anything with this diamond shape in my searches.
    Thanks bakersgma & evelyb. I'll keep looking at Scrabble, maybe I'll find one with the diamonds.
    :cat:
    DSCN1810.JPG

13. evelyb30

OHO. Those ARE Scrabble dice. The diamonds are the blanks.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  14. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

OK. Who else adds up license plate letters to get the scrabble points.
    Just saw ZKX --J...(29 points) the other day runnin' sales.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  15. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Don't bother looking for slimychrome. All it's good for is making a mess of what you're trying to clean. A far better indicator of Bakelite is undiluted Formula 409.
    0330 bakelite 015.jpg
    No pink goo

tyeldom3 likes this.
  16. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hubby 2 and I used to play license plate cribbage. :rolleyes:

tyeldom3 likes this.
  17. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

I've never had any problems using simichrome.

I bought some original formula 409 a few months back, and there was no change of color on the q-tip even for items that I knew for a fact were bakelite. I don't know if they changed the formula or what.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
    tyeldom3 likes this.
  18. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Well that would be Formula 410

tyeldom3 likes this.
  19. tyeldom3

Thanks everyone for all the advice.:kiss:

20. tyeldom3

Thanks evelyb! How nice to know that! :cat: