Anyone have any information on this piece?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Toroberts2023, Apr 9, 2023.

1. Toroberts2023

Toroberts2023 New Member

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this item.

Attached Files:

kyratango likes this.
  2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Tell us everything you know about it: size, material, where you are (this is an international board), where you got it, what, if anything, the old owners told you about it.

And I think we are going to need better photos, the one you posted is very small. Just keep each photo under 1MB :)

kyratango, komokwa and KSW like this.
  3. Toroberts2023

Toroberts2023 New Member

It is made of wrought iron I think it has something to do with heating something around a fireplace. It is 38” tall X 75” wide.

Attached Files:

kyratango likes this.
  4. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I think the term is fireplace Lanier.
    Mikey

Any Jewelry, Lark and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. 916Bulldogs123

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That makes sense. Repurposed.

Debora

kyratango and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

What a cool piece ! Not sure about leaving it outside though . :) move it indoors and use it as a plant stand there.

Any Jewelry, Aquitaine and kyratango like this.
  8. Toroberts2023

Toroberts2023 New Member

Yea I’m thinking the same thing now that I know it’s probably of some value. I’ll probably post it on EBay and see what happens.
    Thank you

kyratango likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Don't take the 1st Dibs listing as a basis for value, they aren wildly inflated!

Aquitaine and kyratango like this.
  11. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Is there any way Toro could date this piece ? If it's a French 18th century fer forge lanier fireplace piece,he'd probably get a smigde more than a late 19th/early 20th century model.
    PS-Plus use the 1stDibs price point as a sales tool (!).
    PSS-Toro,we mostly use 1stDibs as an 'ego-boost' when we get back from the Flea Market.

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it looks like a bear to ship it !

BoudiccaJones and kyratango like this.
  13. komokwa

I'm not convinced that it's a fireplace item..:confused:

14. 916Bulldogs123

I just posted the 1stdibs just to show the item. A quick search and it was the first that came up.
    Agree the price is inflated.
    I knew what it was when I saw it as I had sold one a few years ago. Measurements were very similar, 6' long and 3' tall. Not near as nice as the one I posted. It's more of a cooking tool than it was a fireplace screen. In the 18th century there were no stoves, or not many and most everything was cooked in the fireplace.
    Mikey

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
    kyratango likes this.
  15. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

16. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Do not use 1stdibs as anything but replacement value comparable for insurance purposes. Sellers pay up to 40% to list on that site and have to pass those charges on to their buyers. Selling something so heavy on ebay would be a big mistake especially since potential bidders would have to pay for the item and the shipping. If you are going to sell, best bet would be local like facebook marketplace or nextdoor. And be realistic. The piece has been sitting outside deteriorating and wrought iron can be compromised by the weather.

Toroberts2023 likes this.
  17. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

I can't even find 'Landier' on English Wikipedia,just 'Andiron' & 'Firedog'-Wiki had complete a brain-f@#*.
    PS-'AI' is rebelling !

18. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

You can get a rough idea how someone started to modify a couple of Andirons from just looking at this pair..........and then just expanded from there..... one would assume they were fairly good at metal working to boot!!!

pair-of-vintage-wrought-iron-prams.jpg

19. komokwa

[​IMG][​IMG]there might be modification... but fire screens with the double plant holders already exist...

Aquitaine likes this.
  20. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

If the upper snake-looking parts were made from steel plate, the item is 20th C. They look like that to me but photo isn’t very clear. See if they have rectangular cross-section, such as all flat sides. A smith-made one would be different.

Draft saved Draft deleted