Anyone familiar with ceramic glazed insulators?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I'm thinking this is an old insulator. Looks brown in regular light, but also shown in full sun which brings out a lot more colors, reds and purple. Threaded inside. Worth further research? Thanks!

ins1.jpg ins2.jpg ins3.jpg

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This is an insulator. Not a whole lot of interest in the ceramic versions. I see things like this listed in the $10-15.00 range regularly but don't think they sell very well.

3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Not worth research

4. Lucille.b

Thank you Brad and Terry.
    Much appreciated.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

but still a handsome paperweight...!!!.........:)

6. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

I know a woman who saw a crew changing out the electrical poles and she asked if she could have the old ceramic insulators (still on their wood pegs) ... She now has them clustered in groups about her garden ... they look like odd mushrooms! Maybe you could sell them as a craft item?

dgbjwc likes this.
  7. Lucille.b

I've just got the one, but agreed, it does have kind of a neat "mushroom like" look. I suppose it would hold up to the elements outside no problem. Maybe I'll try to find a spot. Thanks!

8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Lucille,
    Click on the National Insulator Association. They have a gallery of all the insulators with assigned numbers as when they were patented and used.
    greg

dgbjwc likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've a live rail insulator as a garden ornament. Came from the Metropolitan Tube line and it pleases me immensely. Not only is it Met related, it was made by Doulton.

10. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

It DOES have a nice glaze...

...but I agree with those above. Not much value.

gregsglass likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted