Anyone cut their own framing mats?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Jeff Drum, Oct 27, 2024 at 8:52 PM.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

As I go through (very slowly I’m afraid) the prints and paintings I’ve accumulated, some of them need to be remounted in acid-free mat boards. This is somewhat urgent to halt doing further damage on some nice old pieces. I’ve already done this for some of the pieces I have, cutting replacement mats by hand using razor blade and straight edge. And the results are, as predictable, less than professional looking.

If anyone here has bought a semi-professional setup for home use, and can make recommendations on what tools are needed without being overkill, I would appreciate the advice (and I’m sure others would benefit also).

What should I buy?

Bronwen likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I once had a thing called a Dexter Mat Cutter, from Russell Harrington of Southbridge, Massachusetts, that was a manual tool that would slide over the mat surface holding a fixed utility knife blade at a steady angle. Didn't personally like it, but it got snapped up wen I listed it. The mats I cut, I did manually with a straight edge and holding a utility knife at an angle for a bevel. It worked well enough.

Mat Cutter - b.JPG

Mat Cutter - a.JPG

johnnycb09, Bronwen and Roaring20s like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted