Any vintage Peugeot coffee grinder experts?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Sedona, Jul 11, 2023.

1. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

I’m interested in purchasing a vintage Peugeot manual coffee grinder for my kitchen. While it’s purely for decor, it would be nice to get one that works and, more importantly, has all of its parts.

They all look gorgeous to me, whether the body is all wood, metal/enamel, has a Bakelite top, etc. I see the older ones have a metal maker’s name plate on the front, and later ones have a printed label, but I don’t know when that transition occurred.

This article isn’t great, but describes them:

https://knowyourgrinder.com/peugeot-family-grinder-history-the-coffee-connection/

I’d like to spend no more than $100, and there seem to be many in my price range that look very attractive, and would be a nice addition to my kitchen. I’ve also noticed that there are very many for sale online in France (not surprisingly).

The construction of the wood ones also changed over time, from nails to a dovetail joint style.

I’d appreciate any information anyone here has, such as the approximate date of the change in labels, construction methods, etc. Did the metal ones exist for only a short period of time, did they replace wood altogether, etc.? Many listings do not specify a date, and just refer to them as “vintage” or “mid century.”

wlwhittier likes this.
  2. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

I wasn’t able to upload these examples in my original post. The first one is a metal/enamel one with a label. The second appears to be an older style, with a metal name plate and dovetail joints on the wood sides.

IMG_2683.jpeg IMG_2666.jpeg

3. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Way Cool...good fortune in your search, Sedona!

charlie cheswick likes this.
  4. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Antique coffee making devices are some of the most beautiful house decor IMHO.Love the porcelain one,funnily enough-that green color reminds me of classic Bianchi Green ! One of Peugeot's biggest historic cycling competitors.

charlie cheswick likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted