Any value to this 1935 trophy for The Surf Club?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Oct 7, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this trophy for the surf club & book about the surf club at a thrift store yesterday.
    The surf club is located near me in Miami Beach (I am in Miami) which made me pick up the book. I know it as a hotel - and now condos - but when it first opened in the 1930's it was a private social club (This definition came from it's website talking about it's early years: From the moment it first opened its doors on New Year’s Eve 1930 The Surf Club in Miami has hosted history. It is an institution whose reputation looms large in the imagination of so many more people than can ever have visited it, let alone been members. Legends and luminaries came to The Surf Club for its reputation as a place where proper impropriety was allowed. It was for people with good taste seeking good times).

I checked and the book has sold for $150 on eBay so I took it and I was about to go pay for it, when I noticed the trophy & checked it out thinking it might be a early motorcycle or such trophy which are collectible - imagine my surprise when I saw it was for the Surf Club!

But it turned out to be from Club Magazine awarding them the Best Mail Campaign! I bought it because it was connected to the surf club even though it wasn't anything exciting and I'm posting here hoping someone can tell me if this has any value? (if it was for the surf club & best dance contest I could understand, but best mail campaign...?)

Thanks as always for any thoughts or help.

TROPHY & BOOK SURF CLUB 6AA.jpg TROPHY & BOOK SURF CLUB 1AA.jpg TROPHY & BOOK SURF CLUB 2AA.jpg TROPHY & BOOK SURF CLUB 2BAA.jpg TROPHY & BOOK SURF CLUB 4AA.jpg TROPHY & BOOK SURF CLUB 4AAA.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Figtree3 likes this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I was expecting to see a surfing trophy, which would be quite desirable.... LOL! As a trophy for best mail campaign, not so much. That said, all trophies from this era have some value. Some people just collect them for their appearance. Might need to see how this polishes up.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd let the organization know you have it. From early in their history and nice Art Deco design. They may be interested in it for their archive.

Debora

5. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I know the magazine - my dad owns a club on south beach!

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

This one couldn't be more Art Deco if it tried.;)
    Great design, journey.

7. Gatoblanconz

Gatoblanconz Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the 1936 Olympic torch.
    I think it looks cool.
    Deco
    And I like the way it's dated.
    Could look good as a vase although I wouldn't put water in it but maybe could put some of those dry flower things.
    Personally though I like the idea of giving it back to the club and closing the loop on the history.
    Surely they could give you a few bucks for it so that you come out on top

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Great idea

Debora likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted