Any thoughts???

Discussion in 'Art' started by Stanzerl, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Stanzerl

Stanzerl Active Member

Hi everyone!

I got these to paintings from friend and I am not sure if they are worth keeping? First I thought it could be "painting by numbers" but now I'm not sure anymore?

Does anybody have any thoughts on these?

Thanks!!

IMG_2124.JPG IMG_2126.JPG IMG_2128.JPG IMG_2129.JPG IMG_2130.JPG IMG_2117.JPG IMG_2119.JPG IMG_2120.JPG IMG_2121.JPG IMG_2122.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

That is what they look like. Can you detect lines or numbers anywhere?

Stanzerl likes this.
  3. Stanzerl

Stanzerl Active Member

There are some lines or something, but couldn't they just been outlines. The strange thing is that the paint has been put on in layers. It almost has a relief-like feeling. And that's not how I remember painting by numbers, because if you painted over something, you couldn't see the outlines unterneath that layer anymore, could you??? IMG_2132.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  4. KingofThings

Nothing to keep someone from layering to make it look more 'real'.
    It looks pretty good in your photos. I'd grab it if a good deal. There's also nothing to keep someone from mimicking PBN on purpose to make a statement.

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think PBN. There are a couple of sites online that are showing it as a PBN stock image.

KingofThings and anundverkaufen like this.
  6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

7. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

While researching some paint-by-numbers that my Mom did, I found out that some fetch reasonable prices; $25-$50. They have a distinctive almost Mid-Century Modern appearance, and were certainly iconic images of their time.
    On the other hand, the Goodwill stores probably have lots of them......

KingofThings likes this.
  8. KingofThings

I don't see many now. I do have sealed ones too.
    I did lots of them as a child. :)

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

KingofThings and all_fakes like this.
  10. KingofThings

11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

KingofThings likes this.
  12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

If you Google Images "paint by number Geisha" you won't see this, but the results are certainly colorful.

KingofThings likes this.
  13. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Agree with all of above. And Brad's point that these aren't selling like a few year's ago is my experience, too. For a while (maybe 5 years ago?) I remember selling a couple on Ebay, think I got $140, and they were nothing special. Those same paintings would not sell today.

For the PBN's that have retained some value, I think that one feature which can make or break value, is the skill of the person who completed the kit. I have to say that these seem EXTREMELY well done, giving even the sample in the "Paint by Number Museum" a run for it's money.

Although the Geisha looks very Caucasian, that just was kit. Whoever painted it did a great job.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted