Any STAMP COLLECTORS Here?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by vitry-le-francois, Aug 13, 2015.

1. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

Got these two nifty US stamps and I can't find squat about them. I know the Franklin has a billion different varieties and most likely it is the cheaper variety. The 4c Jackson has me really perplexed as I can't find any examples. Perhaps the perfs were cut? Neither has grill marks. Any help would be appreciated!

jackson.jpg franklin.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

No clue but if I had my Dad's collection handy...........

3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

KingofThings likes this.
  5. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I know nothing but would like to ask about the variation in the outside border design/inking on the Andrew Jackson 4-cent stamp.

The "left side" border from the bottom up has vertical green lines on white background until toward the top left side -- then it is done in a "square(s)(?) pattern in a darker green on white.

The top border is in horizontal lighter green lines on white background.

The "right side" border and "bottom" border both have the "squares" pattern in a darker green on white.

Were those design and inking differences intentional to make it harder to counterfeit?

Just curious. ;)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    KingofThings likes this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't know about counterfeiting, but I see the variances as an attempt at making the border look more 3-D.

There is a 2-cent orange Jackson stamp that apparently dates to 1870 and uses the same portrait. What has me wondering about your stamp is the width of the white outer borders.

(I've been buying stamps like crazy lately, which is weird because I don't collect stamps. They're not even real stamps. They're things called cinderellas, or poster stamps, or labels - non-postal souvenirs or promotions for this or that. And it's the fault of all of YOU! There I was, innocently looking for something that someone or other had asked about, when I chanced on a 1926 philatelic conference souvenir and that's what started me off. To make things worse, they frequently come in sets of 4, each in a different color.
    http://alphabetilately.org/Trains/PhilEx/1926-tr-01b.jpg)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    KingofThings likes this.
  7. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Thank you for the information, Moreotherstuff.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'm curious about the Jackson stamp. While it does seem to be scissor cut across the top, the other 3 sides are very straight and square. Those sides look machine cut. I suppose it's possible the stamp was the end off a roll, but I've read online that rolls of stamps weren't introduced until 1908, and I don't know if any of those were un-perforated ("imperf" seems to be the term used).

The cancellation shows that the stamp was used. It looks like a hand cancel sometimes called football or foot print. The number 1 was probably for a specific postal worker. I don't think there's a lot of help there in dating it because hand cancellation persisted for a long time, especially in rural areas.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted