Any quick tips for a veneer touchup?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Tiquer, Mar 16, 2024.

1. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

I am not planning to do a full resto on this table but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions on how to repair this small missing veneer piece? 20240316_094049.jpg

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Looks like some input from @kyratango may help!
    Not being nearly as creative as she is, I would simply cut it into a straight line that travels beneath the edge of the flower and glue layers of veneer and paint it to match!
    Would you please show us a photo of the table in its entirety?
    I'm not sure what I'm looking at and it doesn't look like excessively old wood from this one picture, although it may be..

kyratango, Any Jewelry and terry5732 like this.
  3. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

I will definitely post more pics, thanks! I just literally got the table an hour ago :D

kyratango likes this.
  4. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Bakersgma and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

20240316_132500.jpg 20240316_131506.jpg 20240316_131254.jpg 20240316_131021.jpg 20240316_130904.jpg 20240316_130715.jpg 20240316_130550.jpg OK here goes! Hopefully I found something good! 20240316_130147.jpg

Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
    mirana and kyratango like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You can google 'drum table' for similar ones.

kyratango and Tiquer like this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

You are missing several layers there so it will have to be built up a bit. Could even use cardboard for the under-layers if you don't have any suitable wood. For the top layer, if you don't have any suitable mahogany, see if there is someplace underneath where you could "harvest" some veneer. I would remove the rosette before doing anything and trim the edge to a straight line as suggested above. Use a fair amount of glue and clamp securely. Better to have the veneer hang over the edges a bit than be too small. It can always be trimmed with a razor blade and sanded smooth. Once repaired, you will need to try and match the finish and the painted line as best you can.

8. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

Thanks very much! Trying to figure out how much time to invest in it.

EDIT: I just saw multiple vids showing ppl doing repairs with "Quikwood". May be worth a shot!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
    kyratango likes this.
  9. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

This is a 20th century factory piece, so not worth much of a time investment unless you are keeping for yourself. It looks like a painted on finish to me so paint touch ups will definitely be your friend here.

Any Jewelry and Tiquer like this.
  10. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

I have ordered some Quikwood to build up the missing area and will see how it goes.

antidiem likes this.
  11. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Oh, It's a DRUM TABLE and it's pretty! it's not terribly old, not "antique" but got a good amount of age attached. Yes, definitely remove the rosette flower before cutting, it never occurred to me to have to state that! The painted gold won't be difficult to duplicate, getting the brown color shouldn't be too hard either. Brad's idea of using cardboard to build up the "wood" is a good one. I just always used multiple layers of veneer and criss crossed them with the final top one being "with" the grain.

12. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

Thanks! I already added the Quickwood to it, just need to sand it and see how well I can match it up. Stay tuned!

Ghopper1924 and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted