Featured Any input/thoughts on these hanging lamps?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Pamela Burke, May 24, 2021.

1. Pamela Burke

Pamela Burke New Member

Can anyone give me any insight or thoughts please on these hanging lamps (I have two matching ones)? I inherited them from my mother. She said they were in her mother's house before she got them. I am 70 years old and I remember them my whole life. (I am sure that they were not made in the 1970’s as some believe). The glass shade measures 8 ½” high and 11” across. The wiring is definitely not original and the cap may also be newer, probably replaced when they were rewired. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. resized IMG_2967.jpg resized IMG_2968.jpg resized IMG_2969.jpg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The floral strips make me think 1930s . Love the colors.

3. Pamela Burke

Pamela Burke New Member

Thank you for that input!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Beautiful 1920s examples. They may be worth a pretty penny, especially as a pair, which is unusual. If you have any affection for them, I'd keep them as you will not find another pair like them.

Yes, reproductions were made in the 1970s, but looking at yours, especially with the textured glass on the inside, it would appear that you have the "real deal."

6. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Those are fantastic. True survivor pieces. So many slag glass lamp shades have broken panels from improper handling/storage, being shuffled about from place to place, etc.

Grateful, pearlsnblume, Tanya and 2 others like this.
  7. Pamela Burke

Pamela Burke New Member

Thank you for the links!!

8. Pamela Burke

Pamela Burke New Member

Thank you for your observations!

pearlsnblume and Ghopper1924 like this.
  9. Pamela Burke

Pamela Burke New Member

I'm really lucky they are in great condition. We packed them away over 20 years ago and have moved them several times from one state to another! Guess we packed them well. When we sell them I hope they can survive shipping!

10. sabre123

Aside from top-notch packaging skills, use FedEx. They have the least number of damage claims last time I checked. If you're in the USA, don't use USPS. Some disgruntled worker will kick the living hell out of your fragile items, especially if you write FRAGILE on the box.

You'll most certainly have to double box them. If you can find a double-wall cardboard box for the outer box, use that. You may want to send two packages instead of one large one as well.

Bubble wrap for this by itself will be useless. I find the packing paper used by movers...like newsprint or kraft papers work well. This is my personal preference. Wrap them like your life depends on their survival. Pack inside the petals for inner resistance and outside. Put some type of soft Styrofoam between the inner and outer box.

These are general guidelines. You can find more comprehensive info searching on youtube for shipping fragile items.

11. Pamela Burke

Pamela Burke New Member

Thank you SO much for this advice!

pearlsnblume and sabre123 like this.
  12. sabre123

One thing I forgot to mention, those thumbscrews on the glass are bad during shipping. Even well packed, there is a very small point of contact that could crack the shades if the box is dropped or gets a direct hit from another heavy box. Disassemble them and separate the parts from the glass.

pearlsnblume, Tanya and Pamela Burke like this.
  13. Pamela Burke

Pamela Burke New Member

Great point! Thank you!

pearlsnblume and sabre123 like this.
  14. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, my grandparents had one that was quite similar.

15. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

If it isn’t an urgent sale, you might first consider trying to advertise them locally for pickup. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted