Featured Any Information on These Wooden Carved Frames?

Discussion in 'Art' started by TSLice, Aug 15, 2023.

1. TSLice

TSLice New Member

My father gave me these carved wooden frames, which he told me he received from an old friend who has since passed. He used to live in Saudi Arabia where we think he acquired these frames.

We are unsure of the origin and age of these frames. I also can't seem to find anything online similar.

I was wondering if anyone had any information and/or experience on these frames.
    Many thanks in advance :)

Attached Files:

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Full size works better:

upload_2023-8-15_13-47-41.jpeg

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Nice matching set of frames...need a cleaning...to me the single woman on the left looks enough like the woman on the right that it could be her maybe older and married! The table in the left image with the large book sitting in it below, looks to be the same table with the same large book sitting in it below....in the image on the right as well!! Does it say anything on the back?

pearlsnblume and TSLice like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

so... frames inside shadow box frames ......hand carved to be nearly identical......

very interesting...

I fail to see any Arab influence....

can the back of the carved frames be seen ?

pearlsnblume and TSLice like this.
  5. TSLice

TSLice New Member

Hi Guys, thank you for your responses!

Unfortunately no information on the back of the frames, just a solid piece of backing wood.

I would love to get them open to clean them however, the backs are nailed in and I'm afraid I would cause more damage trying to get them open.

367541564_320505733758655_7878402908528842317_n.jpg 363878202_249429724657464_6015898356672019769_n.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. TSLice

TSLice New Member

There is also a third frame, which is smaller in size. 367510813_3352563991720949_7020969786984649862_n.jpg

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice frames, and welcome.
    They are Chinese or Peranakan (Straits Chinese).

Did your father travel to East Asia? If he got them in Saudi, they could have come there through trade.

komokwa, Bronwen and TSLice like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A very handsome family.

Debora

Bronwen and TSLice like this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Love the dogs!

Bronwen and TSLice like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I just noticed, the small one has a Chinese auspicious bat symbol on the bottom. I hope that means the dogs lived a happy and long life.;)

Draft saved Draft deleted