Any information on pair of Heavy, large counter weight lamps w/all old slot screws

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Jan 5, 2024.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these today at my friend's thrift store; they were priced at $149 which is usually too much for me, but when I picked one up I was amazed at the weight - at least 20 pounds? - and the fact that all the screws - including a large one on the bottom of the base - were the older circa 1960s/1970s slot screws, and finally the control bands for the counter weight arms are wire, not cheap rubber band types.
    Also the cord is a cloth? wrapped cord, but it looks so new maybe it is a replacement?
    The only real worry I have is I can't find a maker's name anywhere?
    Does anyone know who made these?
    Their age?
    Most importantly - did I do good at $150??
    Thank you!

FURNITURE LAMP COUNTER BALANCE 1AA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP COUNTER BALANCE 1BAA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP COUNTER BALANCE 1CAA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP COUNTER BALANCE 1DAA.jpg
    FURNITURE LAMP COUNTER BALANCE 2AA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP COUNTER BALANCE 2BAA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP COUNTER BALANCE 2CAA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP COUNTER BALANCE 3A_AA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP COUNTER BALANCE 3CAAA.jpg
    FURNITURE LAMP COUNTER BALANCE 3CAAB.jpg

Bronwen likes this.
  2. journeymagazine

Forgot cord, sorry.
    And a clearer photo of lamp & cord once inside - is cord original?

FURNITURE LAMP COUNTER BALANCE 3BAA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP COUNTER BALANCE 5AA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP COUNTER BALANCE 5EAA.jpg

lovewrens, antidiem and Bronwen like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Those are some serious lamps. The plugs do not appear to be polarized, so probably original.

antidiem and bluumz like this.
  4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 5, 2024
    antidiem and Bronwen like this.
  5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

It seems unlikely that Restoration Hardware (or Technolumen) would have it manufactured with an outdated cord and plug?

HERE is an alleged original Buquet... the base is "ebonized"... though I suppose it's possible that slightly different styles were available.

More detailed info on Buquet's lamp: https://tecnolumen.com/lamps/eb-28-2

Last edited: Jan 5, 2024
    Bronwen likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Bronwen and bluumz like this.
  7. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

The cord and plug from a modern repro:

Screenshot (69).png

Bronwen likes this.
  8. journeymagazine

Bronwen likes this.
  9. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

1927 Vers-
    Nickel Plated Brass
    Ebonized Wood Base
    Straight Angled Shade Arm Clamp
    JMag-Do You see any small wear spots in the silver where the poss nickel (not more modern chromium) plating's worn down to the brass base metal ?

Bronwen likes this.
  10. journeymagazine

Where should I look?

11. journeymagazine

12. bosko69

The more classic lamps can go thru many iterations thru the years.I've got a Scandinavian lamp frm the 60's that's a knockoff of a late 20's-30's Bauhaus original.I love my lamp even though it's worth a tenth of the original.
    I'd peel off the felt-it's like a Lottery Scratcher,hope you get a winning number !
    PS-Don't forget to grab some of those used Florida lotto tickets for your second-chance prize.Everybody's a winner in the 'Sunshine State'.

Bronwen likes this.
  13. Sdcookie2

Sdcookie2 Well-Known Member

What does the inside of the lamp head look like?

Bronwen likes this.
  14. journeymagazine

I sold them to a family friend for $500 but I didn't take out bulb & look - the bulb looked like small halogen bulbs?

Bronwen likes this.
  15. bosko69

JMag-Did You look under the felt for the Edouard Wilfred Buquet mark ?

Bronwen likes this.
  16. journeymagazine

No - I maybe should have but when I put on my FB page a friend of my dad's asked to buy them for him & his wife; their house is done in MCM (they bought a mcm chandelier from me before as well as other pieces), and since I've been buying a lot more than I've been selling lately(!) I sold them to them this morning for $500 (I paid $150 for them friday so it was less $ but very fast flip.
    I believe if it turns out to have the tags he will pay me some more - again it's a family friend.

verybrad, Lucille.b and Bronwen like this.
  17. bosko69

Cool-Some sellers like to squeeze-out every last cent,some just want to make a fair profit.I'll go back to dealers over & over again who'll work w/ me on prices.With your clients being old family friends,it's a natural move.

18. journeymagazine

Well if you return to people you like/are fair you're more than welcome to come see me if/when your in Miami!
    PS - I have some regulars who come every 2-3 weeks to see what I have new!

Draft saved Draft deleted