Any Information on Nicholas Martyn Tomb Artwork?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Doug Ketcher, Jun 8, 2024.

1. Doug Ketcher

Doug Ketcher Well-Known Member

Hello All, I recently bought an interesting artwork at an estate sale and was hoping anyone could provide some insight on it. The artwork is framed and 48 inches wide x 33 inches tall and appears to have been transferred onto black fabric versus paper or wood. It features a man and his wife praying at an alter or tomb and appears to be a memorial to "Nicholas Martyn" since the inscription between Martyn and his wife (I believe) says, "Here lyeth the body of Nicholas Martyn, Esquire who departed this life and slept with his fathers 29th day of March an 1595...". So, what exactly do I have here? Is it a rubbing off of the original tomb? Any idea when it was made? ANY info would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks!!!! Framed Print on Fabric Nicholas Martyn - 1.jpg Framed Print on Fabric Nicholas Martyn - 2.jpg Framed Print on Fabric Nicholas Martyn - 3.jpg Framed Print on Fabric Nicholas Martyn - 4.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's a copy of his church brass in St. Mary's Church, Puddletown, Dorsetshire.

Debora

Puddletown-1725.jpg

3. Doug Ketcher

Thanks Debora, just wish I could find more info on my artwork itself. Just not much out there that i can find. Thanks!

4. Doug Ketcher

Interestingly, there is almost an exact copy located at the foot / on the floor of the tomb below his church brass. Any idea how they make them? Framed Print on Fabric Nicholas Martyn - CRYPT.jpg

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yours appears to be a decorative reproduction. Brass rubbings were all the rage in the 1960s. Might have been a souvenir poster. Unfortunately, the adhesive used to affix it to its backing has resulted in buckling.

Debora

Figtree3 and Doug Ketcher like this.
  6. Doug Ketcher

Sounds reasonable. Thanks D!

Draft saved Draft deleted