Any information on large Veari tooled leather 'carry all' bag?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by journeymagazine, Jul 4, 2024 at 11:09 AM.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Found this big, beautiful bag? Carry all/satchel? made by Veari.
    I looked Veari up & it seems to be a Hugh end brand, but I couldn't find another example like mine?

What kind of bag is it?
    How old is it?
    Can anyone make out what it says under the Veari name? (I thought it said Marquerita but it's not that?
    Thank you for any help!

20240704_104926.jpg 20240704_104520.jpg 20240704_104426.jpg
    20240704_105024.jpg 20240704_105044.jpg 20240704_104606.jpg 20240704_104647.jpg 20240704_104829.jpg
    20240704_104734.jpg

The other thing I got was this vintage, buttersoft leather jacket with fringe & embroidered flowers & vines that looks like it may have been worn at the Grand old Opry for a country music awards night!
    (It was made by CHAR Santa Fe) - another find that I can't find another example by Char!

20240704_110503.jpg

pearlsnblume and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Never heard of Veari but seems it's from México. The brand calls this shape a "carry on." May have originally had a strap too. (And, fyi, the word under Veari is "Marroquinería" which means "Leather Goods.")

https://veari.com/

Here's information on Char, a label that was started 30-ish years ago. Their vintage leather jackets seem to have a healthy resale value. Yours would be especially desirable, I would think, because it's black and has an unusual, flattering cut, (lots of) fringe, and an appealing embroidered motif. Variables would be size, condition and an exaggerated 1980s padded shoulder.

https://www.chardesigns.com/our-story

Debora

3. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Wow-Char's prices are a tad steep for us ! I guess if we owned an adobe villa in Santa Fe or Taos it'd work.
    It looks primarily like a woman owned-biz w/ a 30 year history,so props to that.
    PS-If their shirts go for $250,what's the Ebay price on a leather jacket ?

4. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I knew Char back in the day and used to hang out in her store. Still have jackets-actually taking my black fringe to Santa Fe this year. She has a definite following. My jacket is very similar but sadly without the embroidery. Great find!

The bag is a tote or satchel or carry-on. Many call that shape a Speedy but that may be keyword spam as it’s Vuitton’s name. It is machine stamped as opposed to hand tooled. Date IMO is not before 80s but that’s just a guess.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2024 at 2:22 PM
    antidiem likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Too funny re Char! El mundo es un pañuelo as we say in Spanish. And that is indeed the shape of a Louis Vuitton Speedy bag. Based on the traditional gym/sports bag.

Debora

Screenshot 2024-07-04 at 11.38.30 AM.jpeg

NanaB and reader like this.
  6. journeymagazine

My jacket doesn't have any shoulder pads - what would you call it?
    I said it looked like someone wore it to accept an award for bedt country music at the Grand ol Opry!
    Thank you Debra!
    PS , I'd wish you a Happy 4th of July, but after our Supreme Court's latest ruling I don't know if it's applicable anymore - so I'll just wish you a happy Thursday!

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That fringy jacket..yee haw! Put that out where people can find it and watch it sail away. Provided it's for sale.

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Without shoulder pads I'd call it both wearable and salable. You can confirm age with the brand if you want to go to the trouble.

https://www.chardesigns.com/contact

And Happy Thursday to you too!

Debora

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

With too, for that matter - shoulder pads mark them as vintage.

10. journeymagazine

On ebay now!

11. journeymagazine

They didn't come with any.

12. reader

reader Well-Known Member

All you need is Vintage Char Santa Fe Black Fringe Jacket Red Flower Embroidery 12. Give good measurements. It’s a great collectible piece.

Journey-edit to put size in title and measurements in description.

Debora likes this.
  13. journeymagazine

reader likes this.
  14. reader

reader Well-Known Member

And Leather…

Debora likes this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Great catches, @reader!

Debora

reader likes this.
  16. journeymagazine

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

With '80s shoulder pads. That may be a hard sell. That silhouette hasn't come back in fashion.

Debora

journeymagazine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted