ANY information on 4 old (antique?) maps I found?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, May 2, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these 4 maps just as they came in yesterday! I'm pretty sure they are old just by the toning & marks from being in the frames so long, right?
    Are they antiques?
    Where are they from?
    Most importantly, are they real? (not newer copies)
    ANY help would be greatly appreciated!
    PS - One thing I've noticed is that old maps have some beautiful artwork!

ART MAP OLD 1BAA.jpg ART MAP OLD 1DAA.jpg ART MAP OLD 1EAA.jpg ART MAP OLD 2AAA.jpg ART MAP OLD 2CAA.jpg ART MAP OLD 2DAA.jpg ART MAP OLD 3AA.jpg ART MAP OLD 3AAA.jpg ART MAP OLD 3BAA.jpg ART MAP OLD 3CAA.jpg

Born2it and wlwhittier like this.
  2. journeymagazine

Here is the last map.

ART MAP OLD 4BAA.jpg ART MAP OLD 4CAA.jpg ART MAP OLD 4DAAA.jpg ART MAP OLD 4FAA.jpg ART MAP OLD 4EAAG.jpg

Born2it and wlwhittier like this.
  3. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

You probably need to take them out of the frame and get paper measurements although they could have been cut down. There should be the name of the lithographer somewhere on there. Once out of the frame, check out the pixelation under a loop. Some of the older maps I have handled are hand colored. raremaps.com is a good website for information.

Born2it and Lucille.b like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

At a glance... Three are of Spain -- the kingdoms of Aragon, Navarra and parts of Andalusia. The fourth is the Veneto region of Italy. They're all by Frederick de Wit. Could be book plates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederik_de_Wit

Debora

Lucille.b likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I don't know if they are original, they look like reprints/facsimile. The originals are all by Frederik de Wit (1630-1706), an excellent Dutch engraver and printer.
    As Debora said, parts of Spain and Italy.

Facsimile are also worth something, but not as much as originals.
    Values of antique maps have gone down. Quality-wise de Wit is considered just below Blaauw, another Dutch cartographer-engraver, whose works are very sought after by cartography collectors.

Last edited: May 2, 2023
  6. journeymagazine

I may just post as is with frame measurements & sell as a group - then I can use the space to put the 3 new pieces I bought today! lol
    Thank you!

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted