Any info or thoughts on eastern painting - unsigned?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Nov 1, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this painting today at a friend's thrift store (actually on the truck - I saw it as soon as they opened the doors!) - is it eastern? Asian? Hindu?
    Why are these paintings not signed?
    I think it's good; especially the faces (the jaws & noses especially) - is this a good painting? How can you tell one by a known artist & one by an amateur or week-end artist?
    I was told before that it's because these are usually painted in a village by someone from the village & for the village, so everyone already knows who painted it?
    Any thoughts of information on it would be appreciated.

ART PAINTING BUDDHA PAINTING 2AA.jpg ART PAINTING BUDDHA PAINTING 3AA.jpg ART PAINTING BUDDHA PAINTING 4AA.jpg ART PAINTING BUDDHA PAINTING 3AAA.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

From your photos it looks like a print/poster hard to tell. Whats the back look like?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. journeymagazine

It's in a frame with backing. It's a painting but I've been taking photos with my phone because computer photo app comes & goes

4. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Might need to take it out of frame to see if anything is under the matting

5. journeymagazine

As requested - what surprised me is how thin the 'canvas' is!
    PS - With a magnifying glass + touching (especially the little white dots on headdress around face in last pic/close up - you can feel the texture/bumps where paint drops stand out a little) - it's painted on the cloth/canvas.

ART PAINTING BUDDHA PAINTING 7AA.jpg ART PAINTING BUDDHA PAINTING 7AA.jpg ART PAINTING BUDDHA PAINTING 7CAA.jpg ART PAINTING BUDDHA PAINTING 7CAAA.jpg ART PAINTING BUDDHA PAINTING 8AAA.jpg

Potteryplease likes this.
  6. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
    kyratango likes this.
  7. journeymagazine

Do you think it's just a tourist piece?
    What do I call this/ how would I describe it if I wanted to list it for sale?
    Portrait of Mughal Emperor Akbar?
    Thanks for the link Roaring20s!

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks like a print on canvas to me. Most Mughal style prints are made in Turkey nowadays.:wideyed:
    Prints on canvas cost more than prints on paper. Just an example:
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/1057546732/shah-jahan-on-a-terrace-mughal-painting?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=mughal+painting+on+canvas&ref=sc_gallery-1-1&pro=1&sts=1&plkey=7ce681e148ac6ccb45a73d1fd8a9996ffe119ea5:1057546732&variation0=2203852461

I have never seen Mughal style paintings for sale at the Taj Mahal btw.;) As far as I know, most hand made Mughal style paintings are made in Lahore, Pakistan, and in Jaipur, India.

kyratango and Roaring20s like this.
  9. journeymagazine

Again maybe it's my phone camera but it's a painting - on super thin cloth of some kind.

10. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

You have mentioned on many a post that you cannot tell whether something is a painting or a print, even when using a loupe. It's hard for us to take your word for it when you yourself are often unsure.

Reproductions are often printed on canvas (or linen, etc.).

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. journeymagazine

I think when I wasn't sure I said so, but either way - I took the back off again + took some of the blue tape off so you could see the linen? spread out more & the over run from the paint.
    Painting, right? And if so any value when unsigned?
    Thanks

ART PAINTING BUDDHA PAINTING 9AA.jpg ART PAINTING BUDDHA PAINTING 9AAA.jpg ART PAINTING BUDDHA PAINTING 9AAAA.jpg

12. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

That over run of paint makes me think of a ‘roll on overlay’ painting print from a template (I don’t know what the technique it called) The overall look reminds me of some pattern and scene printed tablecloths and other decor items I have seen (but really what do I know) Can the scene be Persian?

13. Any Jewelry

Related to Persian. Mughal art is also called Indo-Persian, the Mughal culture was of a Persian type.
    The Mughal Empire was founded by an Uzbek adventurer in exile in Afghanistan. The dominant culture in multi-ethnic Uzbekistan was Persian, and it was once part of Greater Persia.
    The Mughal Empire spread from Afghanistan to Pakistan, on to most of India, and Bangla Desh.

The name Mughal or Mogul is probably derived from Mongol, because the Mughal dynasty could trace its roots to Mongol leaders Timur and Genghis Khan.

14. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Very interesting. Thank you for the information

15. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Some prints have added painted areas.
    Seen that done on old photos, the eyes and ladies beads picked out in paint.

kyratango, Boland and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. journeymagazine

I took it out of the frame & every part I touched is painted, but it's wrapped around a board that I don't want to remove all the tape to look at it on it's own loose because the 'canvas' is so thin I'm afraid to hurt/tear it!). I want to sell it as a mogul painting but the talk of 'template' etc still has me concerned - what should I do to make sure I can say it's a real painting? (I have just under 1800 sales on eBay with a 100% positive feedback & I don't want to hurt that!)
    Thanks for all the help with this!

17. journeymagazine

I found this - Mughal painting is a style of painting on paper confined to miniatures either as book illustrations or as single works to be kept in albums (muraqqa), from the territory of the Mughal Empire in South Asia. - on Wikipedia ( Mughal painting - Wikipedia ) and they had it in bold(!), so can I call this a mughal painting as big as it is?

18. Any Jewelry

You can't, even if it were small and handpainted on paper.
    You can only call it Mughal style, like we did.
    Mughal painting means a painting from the Mughal period, so before 1850, Mughal style means 'in the style of the Mughals but not of the period'.;)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
    moreotherstuff likes this.
  19. journeymagazine

Ahhh - thank you!
    I asked before but I don't think anyone answered - can I call it 'Portrait of mughal emperor Akbar'?
    Thank you again Any Jewelry

Draft saved Draft deleted