Any info on this 1880's lamp?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Mango89, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Mango89

Mango89 Member

Hi!

I've bought it a few months ago and i like it very much.
    All the infos i've got: Made in the 1880's (possibly in Germany), Historicism style, bronze.
    A figure is missing from the stairway. There were tinted glass pieces under the baldachine, these are missing now.
    That's all i know. Any new info would be welcome!
    Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the forum Mango
    You will need to put a picture up of your lamp so folks can help you.

3. Mango89

Mango89 Member

Thank you, daveydempsey.
    Here are the pictures:

2014.jan.4.-5 084.JPG 2014.jan.4.-5 086.JPG 2014.jan.4.-5 087.JPG 2014.jan.4.-5 089.JPG 2014.jan.4.-5 092.JPG 2014.jan.4.-5 099.JPG 2014.jan.4.-5 103.JPG 2014.jan.4.-5 113.JPG
    Someone told me the lamp was badly damaged and it was restored by an amateur who did't do a good job. The tin welding is quite noticeable.

cxgirl and antidiem like this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Really can't be from the 1880s if electric and this looks like it was always an electric lamp. Should think early 20th century.

5. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Possibly the '90s but more likely 1900-1920

6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Pretty strange lamp. From the holes drilled in the chair - one looks like it would be where a doorknob would go - and the others on the bottom, perhaps there was a figure in the chair? Doesn't the light show through the fretwork? I bet there were colored glass panels inside - notice the projections. A panel would slide up into the holders you see near the top and the things sticking out would hold it. It also looks like before it was rewired, the wire went through that loop at the bottom to retain it close to the lamp.

antidiem likes this.
  7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It's a lovely lamp. How tall is it?

8. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

The way the solder stands out is due to corrosion

The solder is how it was originally put together

It is obviously untouched for a long time

9. Mango89

Mango89 Member

Thanks, antidiem.
    It's 36 cm tall at its highest point.

antidiem likes this.
  10. Mango89

Mango89 Member

verybrad & terry5732:

Thanks for your replies!
    I've always suspected it's from somewhat later.

So this style was more popular in the second half of the 1800's but it was still there in the early 1900's.

11. Mango89

Mango89 Member

Bev aka thelmasstuff:

Yes, it's a very strange formed lamp. I've never seen any similar in my life.
    If anyone can find another copy of this lamp, please share it with me and then someone could restore the figure that's missing from the stairway and maybe the door-knob, too, if there was any... I don't know.
    Yes, the light shows through that little hole, too, so maybe there was something there, too.

2014.jan.4.-5 097.JPG 2014.jan.4.-5 121.JPG

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  12. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

It looks Religious.

13. Bev aka thelmasstuff

In photo #8 you can see points sticking out that could have held glass panels.

14. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I don't see religious iconography. I see fleur-de-lis, rosettes, a phoenix (?) and wagon wheels. They must have some coherent symbolism, but not necessarily religious. Maybe those symbols have something to do with a fraternal organization.

15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It resembles a lectern. Maybe made as a display for some specific object?

16. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I know the Mason's have a guardian whose only job is to sit outside the door of the ritual room to keep non-members out. Probably an important task in the very olden times. Maybe this light was outside a door of some organizations ritual room and when it was lit, it meant no one could go in and the switch was inside the room. Thus the little door.

17. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

I also see some Scrap Price.

18. verybrad

This is not a chair or a lectern. It is an building entrance with stairs. It is definitely missing a door knob and probably had some sort of figure there on the stairs.

komokwa likes this.
  19. verybrad

It is in the spirit of the Bergman vestibule lamps but don't believe it to be by Bergman.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Mango89

Mango89 Member

Draft saved Draft deleted