ANY INFO ON "MOD" BLISS BLASS DRESS I FOUND TODAY?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by journeymagazine, Apr 1, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this in a storage unit today - I know of Bill Blass, but I don't know any particulars - can anyone tell me what I have?
    Thanks!

CLOTHES BILL BLASS 1AA.JPG CLOTHES BILL BLASS 2AA.JPG CLOTHES BILL BLASS 3AA.JPG CLOTHES BILL BLASS 4AA.JPG

judy and scoutshouse like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Nope, I can't except he's a pretty well known name, and I LOVE THAT PRINT!!!!!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

scoutshouse and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's not what would be considered a Bill Blass designer dress. Looks like a licensee label and produced after his death. I'll do some research for you and see what I can find.

Debora

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The label was first used in the 1980s apparently but would have been a secondary or licensed line. (In other words, the designer had little/nothing to do with it.) The Made in China label means it dates to the 1990s or later.

Debora

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Screams late 80s, that.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The proof is in the shoulder pads. ;)

Debora

Ownedbybear likes this.
  8. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Agree 80s-90s vintage licensed commercial piece with no designer value (IMO) but may certainly appeal to someone aesthetically. Keywords should also include embellished, floral, beads, sequins.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree. Silk, on-trend bright floral, beadwork. If shoulders not over-exaggerated, will be of interest to someone.

Debora

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Oh, and "mod" is an inaccurate descriptor as not of era (nor in style.)

Debora

11. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Agree. @journeymagazine MOD, short for modern or modernist referred to British fashion of the 60s into the 70s although the term certainly spread to other countries including the US and later fashion incarnations, but nothing about your dress is mod. Think mini dresses with really clean minimalist lines, color blocking, thick low slung belts, white patent boots etc. Think Twiggy, or my personal icon of mod, the character Emma Peel. Neither of them would have ever worn that dress (which is a very pretty print and will find a home).

12. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

That is one god awful ugly dress - no offense. :oops::(

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Mod has a complex history, and is a very specific fashion - and indeed, it goes much farther than that. Have a google on mods and rockers, you'll see what I mean. It wasn't general mainstream Brit stuff, but a particular very tight genre of it. Decent explanation here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mods_and_rockers

I was more hippy than mod, but I did like two tone tonic suits. I'd not call Twiggy or Mrs Peel Mod. Mods wouldn't have worn what they did.

reader likes this.
  14. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I’m fascinated by your response as my US mod sensibility goes right to them. Going to go look!

15. Ownedbybear

It's a seriously interesting piece of social history. Think The Who, and mopeds. And riots!

16. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I can only assume that the term was used differently in the US as everyone I know referred to Mrs. Peel as mod fashionwise. BTW I’m definitely looking at this from a US POV although I realize it was a British trend. Just pulled two fast searches on Emma Peel both of which referred to her “being known for her mod clothes”. Interesting to me as she was always my personal mod fashion icon and now I’m learning that her clothes weren’t mod at all lol but I think the problem may not be about “which side of the pond” as much as where designer fashion took these trends and I still maintain that “Vogue” mod was best exemplified by Emma and I forgot, Peggy Moffitt and I, admittedly as a teenager during that time only knew from Vogue mod until my first trip to London in 68.

Ownedbybear likes this.
  17. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Double post, sorry

Draft saved Draft deleted