Featured Any info on date or possible value?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Justin McDevitt, Nov 2, 2017.

1. 2017-11-02_05.03.03.jpg 2017-11-02_02.40.19.jpg
    2017-11-02_02.40.19.jpg
    Attached are some photos of a trunk I picked up. It was painted green. As you can see slowly stripping paint off and it is beautiful under all that pain t.​

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hello again Justin. I just responded to your Introduction post.

If you would edit this post, and choose Full Image, it would be most helpful.

Thank you.

3. Done. Thanks again.

4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Your Welcome.........That had to have been a nightmare to strip!!!!

You have patience!

I think it dates somewhere around the turn of the Century. You don't show the inside, but more than likely it had a tray. Perhaps you have it.

That's my age guess, but others will be along to say it's earlier or later!:cat:

One more hint, if you can, a photo of the whole trunk would be more helpful to those in the know.

5. Thank you again for the advice. I have posted some more pictures.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Justin, I don't know if you can still edit the title, but adding 'old trunk' could attract the right pairs of eyes.
    I like it btw.

7. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

Right now, where I am in the Southeast you cant hardly give trunks away..
    Youd be lucky to get $50

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME, Justin!!!!! I love your trunk, and it will be just beautiful when you get finished!!!! You took on a real challenge but it's true beauty is starting to come out!!!!! My age guess would be right in with Judy's - around late 1800's to early 1900's......

9. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

It looks to be early 20th century. :)

10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

11. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

This was a more expensive trunk than flat topped ones at original purchase. :)

judy, AJefferson and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. AJefferson

AJefferson Well-Known Member

Gosh send them up here. In MD domed lid trunks can go for $100-$400 depending on the size. Once finished I'd sell this one for $150-$175 (it looks like its about 2 feet wide?) - and it wouldn't stay there long.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yep, true, especially dome trunks which can't support a lamp or serve as a coffee type small table. They are just not very functional for anything around the house except as a decorator type object.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted