ANY INFO ON BOX OF ANTIQUE DOLLS I HAVE?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, May 27, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I won a large box at a auction that had these dolls in it + a ton of doll furniture (some still in sealed boxes!).
    Can anyone tell me what I have?
    PS - I found out about the WWII soldier doll with the Praise the Lord and pass the ammo badge, but the ones that are really interesting are the 2 with what looks like newspaper skin on their faces(?!) and the Spanish couple(?) - last 2 photos
    Any info would help before I list them (you didn't think I was going to keep them did you?! lol) - Thank You!

TOY A A GROUP 2AA DOLL & FURNITURE COLLECTION 1_A.JPG TOY A A GROUP 2AA DOLL 1A.jpg TOY A A GROUP 2AA DOLL 2A.jpg TOY A A GROUP 2AA DOLL 5A.jpg TOY A A GROUP 2AA DOLL 3A.jpg TOY A A GROUP 2AA DOLL 4A.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Those are in pretty rough condition. I don't see Spain. I do see Mexico. ("Spanish" and "Mexican" are not synonyms.) The female Mexican doll is wearing a china poblana costume. I do see what appears to be Scotland, the Netherlands, France and possibly Germany. And one of the dolls is dressed in Victorian costume but is not from that period. The female doll in blue dress is wearing early 1920s clothing. Two may be Storybook dolls (and the clothing may be worth more than the dolls.) The soldier is likely to be of the greatest interest to collectors. Do check for maker's marks (likely on upper back) although unlikely that costume dolls will be marked.

Sure those more knowledgable about dolls will have (much) more to add. And, a close-up of the newsprint stuffing would be helpful.

Debora

Any Jewelry, sabre123 and i need help like this.
  3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Before we all twist our necks. . .

TOY A A GROUP 2AA DOLL & FURNITURE COLLECTION 1_A.JPG TOY A A GROUP 2AA DOLL 2A.jpg TOY A A GROUP 2AA DOLL 5A.jpg TOY A A GROUP 2AA DOLL 4A.jpg

4. journeymagazine

Thank you Debora!

i need help likes this.
  5. journeymagazine

And thank you wiscbirddog!

i need help likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You know... the female doll with the red boots may be Poland. Someone else sure to know.

Debora

i need help likes this.
  7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    sabre123 likes this.
  8. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

In pix 4 of top group, the one in the big hat is a Storybook doll. There are a number on ebay so you can probably find her.
    Patd

i need help likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I like the two zombie one's...... they're back from the grave 4 sure..!! :hilarious::hilarious:

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Could be Hungary. They also have those red boots and the cut-outs on the bodice, but the skirts are generally shorter.

The one in the purple skirt is a fashion conscious version of Volendam, Netherlands;)
    The girl on her left could be Italian.
    The one far left looks like she is wearing a 19th century girl's dress, so not from a specific region, but she is from a later period.
    The one on the right is from the French Riviera on the French Mediterranean coast. She would have had an elegant, slightly conical straw hat before someone scalped her, poor girl.

[​IMG]

French Riviera:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    i need help likes this.
  11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

You've got your work cut out for you, but don't go crazy as condition on all are poor, and desirability in general is down.

You might have Storybook dolls, but they could be wannabees too. What they say on their backs will tell the story.

You can research the soldier doll easily enough. He doesn't seem to be wearing appropriate shoes tho. He should probably have on a boot.

I seem to be missing a 2nd "praise the Lord" doll. I only see one.

At one time nun dolls were desirable and she does have a cute face. Can't tell the condition of the clothing.

The cutest doll is the Tartan dressed. She might be a Georgine Averill. Look for label. She has the look of the desirable Lenci charm.

I can't even offer an explanation on the newspaper print dolls. I can't see them well enough. Is that a "flag" on the left side of the male's face?

They have not been stored well, so hopefully they do not have any odor.

Best of luck.

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. journeymagazine

I thought the clothes might be worth more than the dolls, but they are in rough shape too.
    Is the furniture valuable?

TOY A A GROUP 2AA DOLL _ FURNITURE 1A.jpg TOY A A GROUP 2AA DOLL _ FURNITURE 2A.jpg TOY A A GROUP 2AA DOLL _ FURNITURE 4AA.jpg
    TOY A A GROUP 2AA DOLL _ FURNITURE 3ABBA.jpg

13. judy

judy Well-Known Member

14. journeymagazine

I found these dresses in the box + a teeny tiny doll! The blue dress has a Flora Flimsey by Madame Alexander tag = which seems to sell for a lot of money on eBay - are any of the dolls Madame Alexander Flimsey dolls?
    Is the tiny doll worth anything?
    Thank you all!

TOY A A GROUP 2AA DOLL _ FURNITURE 3ABDA.jpg TOY A A GROUP 2AA DOLL _ FURNITURE 3ABgA.jpg

15. journeymagazine

judy - the faces have newspaper skin! Also, the little doll (+2 more I found in box_ are story book dolls - on back of neck they say StoryBook Doll USA
    Which is tartan dressed one?
    Thank you!

16. journeymagazine

forgot to add pic! TOY A A GROUP 2AA DOLL 3AA_a.jpg

17. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I have never heard of M. Alex's flimsey doll. Well worth checking out information. I know I'm going to Google to learn more about it. I'm very very curious to see what one looks like.

I'm not familiar with the tiny doll, although I've seen them offered as families. Look for any labels. She looks like a soft vinyl?

i need help likes this.
  18. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I think the clue for your newspaper print dolls comes from the print itself. It seems to be in a foreign language, and I think the flag represents the Country.

The doll dressed in red plaid with the gorgeous side glancing eyes is the tartan (dressed).

Hopefully the money on the lot will come from the blue dress! Condition condition condition!!

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I'm going to check my book for Flora! Not much to go by on the net.

What did you find?

i need help likes this.
  20. journeymagazine

Only one I could find was the soldier - because of his badge + now finding the flimsy dress I could find out about it because it had a label = I am lost on the rest!

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted