Any ideas who made this wood steampunk(?) clock?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Miscstuff, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

This is my kind of clock. Wacky wood with a think about it dial. Looks like it originally had a mains clock and someone has crudely re-routed it to fit a quartz replacement. I've removed that as it was stuffed and I'll replace it later. I'm thinking it might be northern European as most western clock makers didn't normally get quite this daring with wooden clock designs. I especially like the beautiful work done on the curves made out of grain matched segments. It is 84cm wide and 74cm high and weighs 2.5Kgs. Anyone seen this design before??
    Cheers
    Stephen

PICT0001small.jpg PICT0002small.jpg PICT0003small.jpg PICT0004small.jpg PICT0005small.jpg

komokwa and Joshua Brown like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

One off artisan, I'd say. Super thing.

3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

You do find some interesting things! The numbers look like some sold for craft projects to me but that's not saying anything. What I find especially unusual is the placement of the numbers.

Aquitaine and Bakersgma like this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think a skilled amateur woodworker's project. Looks like it originally had a corded clock (note the channel through the lower vertical) so would think from the 50s/60s. Looks like it is also a display shelf.

Draft saved Draft deleted