Any ideas of origin or maker? Demitasse Cup

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by trip98, Nov 2, 2014.

1. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

mcdemicupbl1.jpg mcdemicupblm.jpg Any ideas of origin or age? What kind of boat?

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  2. SKCCOAST

SKCCOAST Active Member

Sanpan maybe?

3. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I think the boats were called junks if Chinese?

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Junks were large sailing vessels, sampans are the smaller boats that people live in.
    greg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  5. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

Just a guess, but I'd say it's Japanese.

6. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

thank for the comments. I was leaning towards Chinese or maybe Dutch/European. Tried a bunch of different searches an came-up with zero likeness including Japanese searches....

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My first thought was Bavarian, despite the design. They copied/stole Asian designs left and right sometimes, but I could be totally off.

8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I thought German when I saw it so I'm leaning Bavarian also I think. Not much help :(

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I could easily be wrong, but the lines of the boat don't look oriental to me.

10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I could easily be wrong, but the lines of the boat don't look oriental to me.

11. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

I agree the boat is a bit off for Asian, it was acquired with a large lot of meissen, and dresden porcelain, all from from the same estate. It is very well made and to my eye high quality. Hence, the extra effort of Iding.

Draft saved Draft deleted